Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buffeting  (Read 2189 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Buffeting
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
I've tolerated the buffeting since I bought my 800 XCA just over a year ago but this post has stirred me into trying to do something about it, short of replacing the screen. I definitely think it is worthwhile trying to determine how much effect the air flow under the screen has on the turbulence generated in front of my helmet, perhaps closing off parts of the under screen gap with tape to see how much difference that makes. It will be interesting to start by seeing how much air flow there actually is up the back of the screen, if any.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Suasages

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »
Hi there
Just try it only needs bit of tape to change the whole bike to perfect and it was dam good to start with

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 02:12:44 PM »
I'll have a go tomorrow and see how well it works!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 03:19:54 PM »
The thing is buffeting is sometimes as much a helmet issue as a bike issue, because I once had
a fantastic helmet on one bike, but awfull on another !

Also maybe look at the "tunnel" of the forks, because I remember on my previous ride (Honda AT)
this made a crapload of hairflow in a bad way.

Offline Suasages

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
So has anyone actually tried the tape between screen and headlight casing as in my picture

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »
I tried it on my 2017 800 XCA earlier this afternoon. My plan was to do the first half of my ride out with the tape in place and the second half with it removed to compare. However, it turned out that this strategy was a little flawed because the two halves of the ride ended up being very different with the second half involving much higher speeds and straighter roads. My initial feeling was that the tape made the buffeting worst, at least up to speeds of about 50 mph, but, to make it a fair test, I will need to do the complete ride out with the tape in place and to then repeat it without the tape.

However, in taping over the gap at the bottom of the screen, I hadn't really appreciated  how large the gap actually is which would suggest it is supposed to play a big part in how the air flows around the screen. What slightly worries me now is that my SatNav mounted above the instrument console may well be disrupting the air flow behind the screen and so I will definitely test how much of a difference it makes by removing it.

Offline Suasages

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
In all the testing and things Ive tried Ive realised wind noise is one thing and buffeting is another . Buffeting shakes the glasses on my head and the helmet
Ive used rx7 gp . Shoe and a Schuberth C4pro . And everything else inc mirrors sat nav hand guards 3 different screens inc cutting touring screen down gradually but the only thing that has alowed me to do the higher speeds is closing the gap . Its differing speed and voulume of air under and over the screen blade as would be the case in a wing especially at a steep angle of attack . Never had it on any other bike sport or sport tourer. ( they dont have a gap as you say that large .
Try it as you say a reasonable but legal speed

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »
I had buffeting with the standard screen. I decided to buy the Givi screen, which, was to high. I then cut it down so o its lowest setting it as level with my chin. It is now so good I can cruise above 90 without having my visor down.

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
Get a Madstad screen

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
Get a Madstad screen
Plus one for that - ugly as hell but works superbly - and to be honest I don't think of my Tiger as a pretty bike anyway so not a lot to lose in the good looks department !

Recent Topics