Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buffeting  (Read 2187 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Buffeting
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 09:04:24 PM »
I don't get any buffeting with the Givi Airflow, and it's much prettier than a Madstad. The whole concept is exactly the opposite of what that tape is doing, it directs the air flow rather than trying to block it.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Suasages

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 09:07:09 PM »
Have you tried it

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
Same as.

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
Plus one for that - ugly as hell but works superbly - and to be honest I don't think of my Tiger as a pretty bike anyway so not a lot to lose in the good looks department !
Plus 2 for the Madstad.  I think it looks ok but, a screen is a screen.

I did get hit by a strong side wind gust yesterday on a mountain road in Donegal doing around 75mph.  Fully loaded bike and missus onboard.  It really threw me all over the place, a bit of a massive speed wobble. 

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »
Never suffered any buffeting. Do any of the screens help with the horrendous screen noise? I tried the T touring screen, no better. Currently using 3M SNR39db Ear plugs & Shoei GT Air.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Alan B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Never suffered any buffeting. Do any of the screens help with the horrendous screen noise? I tried the T touring screen, no better. Currently using 3M SNR39db Ear plugs & Shoei GT Air.

Madstad, works where others don't.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 06:05:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alan B [+]
Madstad, works where others don't.

Ok thanks for the reply, so it's good for cutting the noise as well as the buffeting.

The best so far for me is, touring screen on lowest setting, brings the screen nearer to me. Looking like I'll end up with fugly though.

Offline characticus

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
MRA screen works well for me. Quiet, no longer need to use earplugs most of the time. Coudn't stand the buffeting with the standard screen, none with MRA. This is with Arai helmet.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 11:02:03 PM »
honestly,

this is a fairly useless discussion. Over the years I have learned two things: screens and seats are extremely personal. The screen one rider loves is hated by the other. I guess your personal height, the way you ride, the crash helmet you use  etc. have a massive impact on whether you feel comfortable with a screen, a seat etc..

So: it is usefull to see what other riders have done to improve the quality of the ride, but you should take if for granted  it'll work for you and furthemore if you think you have found the perfect way for you, don't even think it'll work for others.

Maybe, there is are general approach to this and what I have heard from the Tiger 900 crew, less is sometimes better as the smaller screen on these bikes seems to better for more people. But for the 800s.. I really don't know.

I am using a Puig deflector for years now on my OEM Triumph touring screen, but since I got a new lid, I am wondering whether I should stick to the deflector as it seems to create more problems. I am about to start a three days trip tomorrow and maybe I just take that deflector off to find out if it is really useful.

I'll let you know.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »
Has anybody yet, said the Madstad screen does not work for them?

All other screens/fixes/add-ons might appear to help some, but not others, we are all aware of this after years of reading this age-old problem on adventure style bikes.

The buffeting is an individual issue. Unlikely anybody hasn't suffered the OEM screen noise, unless, already deaf.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch