Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 Tiger had to be rescued......  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
2019 Tiger had to be rescued......
« on: May 31, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I was out yesterday and after around 40km my tiger started to misfire under load (e.g. leaving a village and accelerating to extra urban speeds). I decided to head back and it got progressively worse until 20km later any load caused the engine to die. On idle the bike runs roughly and smells incredibly rich. With a distinct smell of petrol in the exhaust fumes. No warning lights or faults on screen.

I had to be recovered and once home I decided to do some investigating.

1) Fuel - Bike was drained of fuel during a house move from Switzerland to Germany in Feb and refilled in the last week of April. I used quarter of a tank on a post inspection shakedown. The bike passed its import TUV which suggests emissions were ok. I did 180km last weekend with my wife on board with no issues. I did 60km in total yesterday including 20 with the issue. I dont think fuel is the issue here.

2) Air - Bike was serviced in November ready for Winter and the air filter looks reasonably clean. Bike only has 5500km and has been dealer serviced twice i that time due to my preference for fresh oil over the winter lay up. I dont think thats an issue

3) Spark - after the recovery and with a cold engine the bike started and ran normally for a couple of minutes and then started to idle roughly again. Application of throttle causes the engine to die.

I stripped the bike plastics and tank off. No loose wires or hoses. No blockages in the Snorkel. So I removed the coils and plugs.

Plugs have no continuity between the core and outer metal parts and resistance is 4.6, 4.6 & 5.3k ohms. NGK CR9 plugs have a 5k suppressing resister. Now they are out I will change then anyway.

The Haynes manual states 1.2 to 1.6 ohms for later coils, but nothing for the later secondary windings. The results are as follows.

Primary Coil from No. 1,2 & 3 all 1.4 ohms
Secondary coil from 1 = 9.53k ohms
Secondary coil from 2 = 9.48k ohms
Secondary coil from 3 = 9.36k ohms

Manual states 11 but that is the earlier coil type. The numbers above suggest no issue as they are all similar.

Any other steps I can take?

What should I be looking for from the lambda (o2) sensor?
Same question for the crank position and IAT sensors?

Thanks for anything constructive in advance!
"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
― Anonymous

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
Re: 2019 Tiger had to be rescued......
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »
The normal starting point for a modern bike is a diagnostics test to see whether any fault codes have been logged - if the bike is not running correctly, it would be very surprising if there weren't any?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
The normal starting point for a modern bike is a diagnostics test to see whether any fault codes have been logged - if the bike is not running correctly, it would be very surprising if there weren't any?

Absolutely - I have ordered the cable and downloaded the software, but until that arrives I was hoping for some tinkering suggestions 😁
― Anonymous

Offline ped

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »
press the m button and hold the joy stick up while you turn the ignition on and it will show the error codes on the tft dash

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800 Xcx 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:10:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ped [+]
press the m button and hold the joy stick up while you turn the ignition on and it will show the error codes on the tft dash

:028:

Je n'ai pas lue le kilometrage de ton Xca. . .

Un soucis similaire provenait d'une bougie dfectueuse, alors qu'elle avaient 20000 kms !
Aucun code dfaut et pas de voyant moteur allum.

Dans le cas ou ce serait une bobine Ht hors service, je ne pense pas galement que cela provoque un code de dfaut.

Tiens nous au courant.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »
1) I'm not saying this is the problem, but the symptoms you describe would occur if you have water (or other contaminants) in the petrol. Are you confident of the quality of the fuel from  last fill?
This wouldn't show up on the fault codes.
2) Also, a detached manifold air pressure ( MAP) hose could cause that behaviour.
This should show up on the fault codes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:49:20 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 05:53:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
1) I'm not saying this is the problem, but the symptoms you describe would occur if you have water (or other contaminants) in the petrol. Are you confident of the quality of the fuel from  last fill?
This wouldn't show up on the fault codes.
2) Also, a detached manifold air pressure ( MAP) hose could cause that behaviour.
This should show up on the fault codes.

Great questions and I can only make a guess on the fuel.

Fuel in Germany is pretty good, but I used 3/4 of that tank before this occurred. Surely it would have showed up before? Also when the engine is fully cold it runs and fire on all 3. Surely bad fuel would impede ignition at and temperature/rpm?

Hoses, sensor connections as well obvious reasons for the holy trinity of Fuel, Air and ignition have yet to yield an answer.

Anyway....new plugs should be here today so well give that a try first.

Thanks for the suggestions though 😇

― Anonymous

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 05:58:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
:028:

Je n'ai pas lue le kilometrage de ton Xca. . .

Un soucis similaire provenait d'une bougie dfectueuse, alors qu'elle avaient 20000 kms !
Aucun code dfaut et pas de voyant moteur allum.

Dans le cas ou ce serait une bobine Ht hors service, je ne pense pas galement que cela provoque un code de dfaut.

Tiens nous au courant.

Merci de partager votre exprience. J'ai 5500 km et l'homme de l'ADAC a galement dit que c'tait symptomatique d'une bougie dfectueuse.

merci pour votre contribution - j'espre et je souponne que vous avez raison!
― Anonymous

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »
isn't the bike still under warranty? If so I'd leave it to the dealer to sort the problem out, anything you do on your own without success may backfire regarding warranty claims.

Just sayin'
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »
As said, the best outcome will be if the ECU has logged one or more fault codes which lead you straight to the problem. If not, you may be faced with the prospect of testing every component or sensor in turn to work out which is at fault which, at the very minimum, is very time consuming. Sometimes it's best to take it back to a Triumph centre for them to do the fault finding especially if the bike's under warranty!

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics