Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Severe Vibration / Grumbling / Shaking accelerating around 4000 RPM  (Read 792 times)

Offline akroblade954

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
I've read loads of posts on vibrations and it seems some people are suffering what i get from my 14,000 mile 2016 XCx...

This is not the tingly vibes 90% of people talk about in groups & forums - i can deal with that by hitting cruise control for a while and giving my hands a break!! This is severe, harsh, noisy full on vibrations while accelerating through 4000 ish rpm over about a 750rpm range. Happens in all gears but more pronounced in higher gears as it takes longer to get through the rough patch... The bike has always done it in the 2000 miles / 1 year i have had it... It's silky smooth below and above that rough patch and can pull hard from 2000 rpm without any vibes until it gets to 4000 ish.. It has Triumph engine bars fitted but other than that it was stock when i bought it. This what i have done:

1) Bridgestones replaced with new Michelin Anakee 3's. Perfectly balanced - no change
2) 4hrs of chain cleaning, lubing and adjusting spot on - no change
3) Muddy Sump 12k service just done - throttle bodies in tolerance, shims all good, cam timing set, headset re-torqued and chain adjusted etc.... - no change
4) Arrow silencer fitted with baffle left in - no change

It's doing my head in! I can only think to try and crack off all the engine bolts and re-torque them. Any thoughts or ideas from anyone? Remember, this isn't the tingly subjective Tiger vibes people talk about its full on violent shake the bike vibes  :027:

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
Re: Severe Vibration / Grumbling / Shaking accelerating around 4000 RPM
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
I had a 1200 which vibrated, I reduced it by undoing all engine bolts re-torqued them in order as specified by triumph, also fitted foam grips. Not sure but I read somewhere (probably dreamt this bit) 😂😂 that having the throttle bodys balanced which can be done using the tiger tool soft ware.
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline akroblade954

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
I think i'll try the re-torquing of engine bolts. I have the torque settings and just found the sequence in the service manual (attached).

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:48:46 PM »
If the vibration only occurs while driving, have you considered the front end as a source? It's an easy procedure to loosen off the lower  triple clamp bolts, and while loose, make sure the forks/wheel/bars are in accurate alignment. Work the front end up and down with the handle bars to allow centering. A related procedure is to check for any excessive wear, detents or loose fitting on the head stem bearings. The front end can be a source of vibration.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 12:45:08 AM »
Like Chuck steering head bearings were the first thing I thought of reading the original post.
If the bike has only done 14,000 miles in 5 years it has spent a lot of time parked with pressure on the same spots of the bearings.

Offline akroblade954

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 08:52:33 AM »
Wow. Front end is not something i had thought of thanks chuckxc and K1w1. Muddysump did the steering head bearings at the 12K service last month, but that doesn't include undoing the lower triple clamp. I'll give that a go thanks.

It just seems that it's where the torque starts to build. Like when you open up the throttle in high gear at low revs, most engines have that point where you can notice a bit of a grumble / vibration from the engine. Except for this bike does that very harsh.

Went for a ride last night and it does it at 3750-4500 rpm. Any gear but only when at least half throttle used... More pronounced in higher gears as the engine obviously takes longer to get through that rev range so is fighting harder

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Check the cush drive rubbers too

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »
From your description it seems that you might be changing gears too early. 2000 rpm's is too soon to change to the next higher gear. Tri 3500-4000 rpm's.

Chico

Offline akroblade954

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 09:02:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
From your description it seems that you might be changing gears too early. 2000 rpm's is too soon to change to the next higher gear. Tri 3500-4000 rpm's.

Chico

3750-4500 rpm is where the "problem" happens. I wouldn't normally be riding down at 2000 rpm but i gave it as an example to explain it is nice and smooth down at that level. Where it is bad is just in the 50mph area in like 5th / 6th gear. Perfectly normal speed, gear & rpm so i end up with the issue i am describing an awful lot  :003:

Offline akroblade954

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
Check the cush drive rubbers too

Ill add it to the checklist thanks

Recent Topics

winded-staunch