Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knocking (ringing, clinking) of the Tiger 800XC 2014 engine (mileage 12,000 km)  (Read 1509 times)

Offline san

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC 14
I have a 2014 tiger 800 XC. The mileage is 12,000 km. I was driving on the highway and the engine suddenly rang for 1-2 seconds. I slowed down, and everything disappeared, all extraneous sounds disappeared. But the next day, when I started the bike, it started working exactly like in this video (the video is not mine, but my motor works exactly the same). There was a ringing sound. And this always happens when the bike warms up to operating temperature. I do not know what to do, how to fix the engine? At the traffic light, when I'm standing, it's very audible, it drives me crazy.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:50:41 PM by san »

Offline san

• Tiger Member
No ideas at all? Has no one ever had such a thing?

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Hi San. I've listened to the video a number of times but have struggled to identify any sound out of the ordinary? If the sound only appears when the motor is warming up and disappears when it is at the full operating temperature then I would not be that concerned.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline san

• Tiger Member
But... In the video, a hum can be heard, as if valves are knocking. High-frequency sound. It's like tapping a nail on an aluminum beer can.

Online Alan B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900
The video sound is completely normal for a Tiger 800, they are quite a noisy engine.

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Hi San
You say that the video is not of your bike, but yours sounds exactly the same, is that correct?
Do you know what the problem was with the bike in the video?
I cant hear anything wrong with that engine, although it is quite easy to start hearing things which arent there if you get it into your mind that there is something wrong.
My advice would be to ride your bike sympathetically, and monitor/check the feel, sounds, indications, lights etc., and see if anything shows up.
If its worrying you so much, and you dont want to start taking it apart, your only course may be to take it to a mechanic and tell him/her what your concerns are.
Best of luck.
Cheers
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
I ran mine for 5 minutes or so today to dry it out after a wash - sounds like a bag of spanners but always has done since new, I just rarely notice it as I am partly deaf and wear ear plugs when riding.
Its never worried me, just part of the character of the bike. :001:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
I located the buzz/rattle on mine today. What looks like a cover (finisher) on the expansion tank, was only held by one screw at the back, the front was rattling loose. At first it seemed surplus, but it's shaped at the front to hold the clutch cable & keep it away from the radiator. The cable can't come out without removing & twisting the finisher.

Whoever fitted the part at the factory won't have only fitted mine wrong, likely quite a few gone through before somebody spotted the error.

See item 37 Finisher expansion tank, you can see the clutch cable location points at the front & screw item 38 at rear. Items 40 & 41 are shown in the diagram but missing off the parts list. Item 40 looks like they could be sticky pads? Item 41?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596699/tiger-800-xrx-from-vin-674842/cooling-system
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
I can't quite remember the details of when I took off all the trim to carry out my 12 k service last Oct/Nov but I vaguely remember a problem with the clutch cable route and at least one stuck-on cable tie that had come detached. When it was all back together, I wasn't happy with the way the clutch cable was held in position as it disappeared below the tank above the radiator and ended up using a cable tie to restrict its movement as the handlebars turned towards the right.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I located the buzz/rattle on mine today. What looks like a cover (finisher) on the expansion tank, was only held by one screw at the back, the front was rattling loose. At first it seemed surplus, but it's shaped at the front to hold the clutch cable & keep it away from the radiator. The cable can't come out without removing & twisting the finisher.

Whoever fitted the part at the factory won't have only fitted mine wrong, likely quite a few gone through before somebody spotted the error.

See item 37 Finisher expansion tank, you can see the clutch cable location points at the front & screw item 38 at rear. Items 40 & 41 are shown in the diagram but missing off the parts list. Item 40 looks like they could be sticky pads? Item 41?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596699/tiger-800-xrx-from-vin-674842/cooling-system

I see the link but am not sure what you did to correct.  Did you add a fastener to the front of the cover?  Item 41 looks like a grommet to me.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch