Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knocking (ringing, clinking) of the Tiger 800XC 2014 engine (mileage 12,000 km)  (Read 1540 times)

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
*Originally Posted by mcman56 [+]

I see the link but am not sure what you did to correct.  Did you add a fastener to the front of the cover?  Item 41 looks like a grommet to me.

No, there is no fastener at the front, it is only held by the cable, & I'm guessing, the 2 sticky pads secure it to the expansion tank. All looks like an afterthought to stop clutch cable from rubbing on Rad.

Only a 15 min job to remove the plastics, remove the finisher panel, fit it to the cable & replace.

Sticky pads ordered off ebay. I'll just fit one at front in case it's a pita to get off for change cable at any time.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
Interesting, the cover on mine also feels a bit loose so that could be it.  The cover has a couple of grooves/ clips in the front that look like a clutch cable guide but the clutch cable is attached to the frame with bracket and screw.  See pics.  Nothing appears to be holding the front of the cover.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
Is the cover loose at front or held by sticky pads to the expansion tank? Not doing anything if your cable is secured to the frame. That must be mk2 bodge.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
It is not tight. It looks like I could secure it with tie wrap to what looks like the clutch cable track

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
I've now fitted a piece of sticky pad to the front of the cover. That flimsy clip off the bkt is holding my overflow pipe.

Offline san

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC 14
I solved the problem with the knocking in the engine! The problem was the engine oil. The engine was filled with a Castrol Power Racing 10W40. I poured a thicker Motul 7100 10W50! All the knocks are gone, the engine is running quietly! I drove only 1000 km on Castrol, apparently it is too liquid for our engine, although it is recommended by the Triumph factory

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
*Originally Posted by san [+]
I solved the problem with the knocking in the engine! The problem was the engine oil. The engine was filled with a Castrol Power Racing 10W40. I poured a thicker Motul 7100 10W50! All the knocks are gone, the engine is running quietly! I drove only 1000 km on Castrol, apparently it is too liquid for our engine, although it is recommended by the Triumph factory

that is strange I am using this Castrol oil for 86,000 kms now and never had a knocking sound from the engine
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
...knocking in the engine! The problem was the engine oil. The engine was filled with a Castrol Power Racing 10W40.
...apparently it is too liquid for our engine
Maybe apparent for "your" engine?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
10W40 is the correct and  best oil for the Tigers. You may have treated a symptom, but doubt you have found the real cause of your problem.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
... Castrol Power Racing 10W40.

This is what I use. Though in Halfords if you use their oil selection guide they show 10W40 of all makes of oil suitable except Castrol where they list using their 10W50. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch