Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bonnie Scotland Tips  (Read 736 times)

philmcglass and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Gmac

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800
Bonnie Scotland Tips
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:46:56 PM »
hi all, hope your all well

Myself and a few pals are touring Scotland as of the 19th of June, so far we have only firmed up/booked hotels for the following route/waypoints

Day 1 home to newcastle
day 2 john o groats(long hack i know)
day 3 ullapool
day 4 loch lomond

needless to say we have the NC500/Applecross on our radar as well, southbound we will most likely make our way back through the caingorms

other then midge masks and stop for fuel when possible any other must see/dos you would recommend??

Thanks
George

Online mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
Re: Bonnie Scotland Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »
That is too long a run to John O'  Groats from Newcastle, but I would give J o' G a miss if I was you unless it's just a tick in the box, the east coast up from Inverness is flat and boring.
I'd stop at Inverness and then head up the A836 to Tongue and down to Ullapool and then head down following the west coast road(Applecross to over the B Na' B and down, but 1 day from Ullapool to Loch Lomond is not enough, The roads down the west coast are narrow and a lot of single track (and camper vans) to deal with, I honestly think that needs 2 days  or it becomes a race and not enough time to take in the views which there are many..

Offline Gmac

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »
thanks Pal, sound advice, have tweaked to inverness, tbh that was my original plan, after hearing about Scottish miles and how most people don't rate the east coast heading inland from inverness-ullapool-loch lomond then take it from there day to day.

cheers

george

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
150 MLS is about the most you want to do a day the scenery is amazing take it easy and enjoy it. I ride the West Coast and drop down south at Scorie.

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 12:20:22 PM »
Hi. Def. go for 150mil. Or less stick to the centre or better still the west if applecross come in to it from the north coastal road and then go over it ,up the middle left alone the north coast to Durness dont forget smoo cave down the west coast follow the NC500 route and all youll see the the backside of camper van and nutters in sports cars that think there F1 material
Just my tuppens worth as Ive been there a lot 😂

Offline Gmac

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 11:56:49 PM »
thanks gents appreciate the tips

Offline glassbacken

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRX Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
Try the A836 from Lairg to Tongue and call at the Crask inn, also further south you could do the Kinlochleven loop near Glencoe

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
Dont abandon your idea to cross the Cairngorms during your trip. Many people just head north or south on the A9 and miss out on one of the best riding routes in Scotland. The roads from Grantown to Tomintoul, Braemar and Glenshee are awesome!

Safe riding!

Online coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 04:30:52 PM »
I'm doing a solo trip to Scotland next week and the Cairngorms are on my route up the East then across to Fort William and then down through the Trossachs into Galloway National Park. Hopefully better weather than my trip to Cornwall last month.

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
I'm doing a solo trip to Scotland next week and the Cairngorms are on my route up the East then across to Fort William and then down through the Trossachs into Galloway National Park. Hopefully better weather than my trip to Cornwall last month.
Awesome roads live that ride.

Recent Topics