Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Spotlights  (Read 777 times)

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
Re: Tiger 800 Spotlights
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
.... and are likely made for Triumph in 'China'.  :027:
  :460: :0461:
I'm from Wigan me

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 10:09:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I hope all of you added one of those tiny in line fuse box, having had some similar on
my Honda and seeing the serious amp draw they took, better have some extra fuse
for your Tiger's safety.
Alliexpress electrics can be finicky or hit or miss, better be safe than sorry.
Serious amp draw? they draw 15 watts (1.25 amps) so no need for a relay, these cree spotlights don't get even luke warm. Mine are wired to the ignition switched horn circuit which already has a 10amp fuse.  :152:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:12:19 AM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan me

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
...these cree spotlights don't get even luke warm...
The LEDs themselves get quite warm in operation but they're mounted on a lump of aluminium that acts as a decent heatsink, together with the heatsinking capacity of the outer casing.

From experience with failed spotlights of this type, the biggest issues I've seen are poor assembly (sealing) leading to water ingress and blown electronics. Also the drive electronics create a fair amount of electrical noise. For the most part this doesn't present a significant or even noticeable problem to the masses, but with the increased sensitivity of the electronics on today's bikes if anyone find things acting weird after fitting similar lights, disconnect them and see if the problems go away.

As for where the Triumph fog lights are made, the early halogen and LED fogs were made by KiWav and the more recent LED fogs by Koso, both of which are companies in Taiwan, as far I'm aware. Both the KiWav & Koso lights can be bought elsewhere to save a lot on the Triumph prices. Having taken several apart, the quality of lights from both of the manufacturers used by Triumph are far better than the cheap ones at the start of this discussion, but they obviously come with a price tag to match. You pays your money.....

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
Serious amp draw? they draw 15 watts (1.25 amps) so no need for a relay, these cree spotlights don't get even luke warm. Mine are wired to the ignition switched horn circuit which already has a 10amp fuse.  :152:

The ones I had, also Cree LEDs, would draw above 2 amps depending on the wiring and I was not so convinced that the connection for cooling to the aluminium frame, was well done, so I limited the draw, not to fry them just safety !

Recent Topics

winded-staunch