Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Spotlights  (Read 3043 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Tiger 800 Spotlights
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 01:15:13 PM »
I guess I have a different point of view.
I'm not overly concerned about how bright my lights seem to others. I ride assuming I am invisible. Therefore I don't depend on some dullard seeing me. I  just  assume they don't and they will do something stupid.  Ride defensively.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:18:00 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
Indeed chuck, but increased visibility can still be a useful second line of defence.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 11:30:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
I guess I have a different point of view.
I'm not overly concerned about how bright my lights seem to others. I ride assuming I am invisible. Therefore I don't depend on some dullard seeing me. I  just  assume they don't and they will do something stupid.  Ride defensively.

Agree.
Treat every other person and animal on or near the road as a complete moron who is out to kill you and ride accordingly (that includes your riding buddies by the way).
Additional lights are handy and I ride with my "Chuck specials" on most of the time but ultimately motorcyclists cannot assume that any other road user is going to either see them or do the right thing.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 12:03:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alberto_B [+]

Indeed chuck, but increased visibility can still be a useful second line of defence.
Not necessarily in this case under discussion.  Having super bright non-reg lights that zap the retina of the driver in front of you as well as piss them off  doesn't do you or them any good. Same goes for your mate's rear view mirrors up ahead.
 Courtesy and safety go together.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:08:47 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »
Of course. My point was only a general one, that it's probably better to be both defensive and enhance your visibility.  :028:

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
Not necessarily in this case under discussion.  Having super bright non-reg lights that zap the retina of the driver in front of you as well as piss them off  doesn't do you or them any good. Same goes for your mate's rear view mirrors up ahead.
    :008: :492:
I'm from Wigan me

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 01:36:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alberto_B [+]
Passive safety only goes so far -- much better to equip oneself with knowledge and skills than to trust others for your safety.

:0461:
Offensive lighting is merely that -- offensive. Good motor vehicle lighting is not just more lumens -- it's engineered by knowledgeable companies like Cibie or Marchal. Trusting the general public to get it right is foolhardy.
The industry, at the very least, needs to regulate and (after sale) governmental regulators --  for the good of all road users.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 08:27:18 AM »
Regarding "Defensive Lighting", I've often though how bright and noticeable these flashing LED things cyclists have fixed to their bars, can see them for miles and do attract attention.

Even if you had them wired via a latching push button and used them as you approach junctions etc.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 08:48:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Offensive lighting is merely that -- offensive. Good motor vehicle lighting is not just more lumens -- it's engineered by knowledgeable companies like Cibie or Marchal.

In that case there is a monumental failure on the part of almost every manufacturer of SUVs who are fitting LED lights so high on the front of the vehicle that even when correctly adjusted in low beam they are literally blinding to anybody driving a standard sedan.

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Regarding "Defensive Lighting", I've often though how bright and noticeable these flashing LED things cyclists have fixed to their bars, can see them for miles and do attract attention.

Even if you had them wired via a latching push button and used them as you approach junctions etc.

I believe flashing lights on a motor vehicle that are not turn signals or emergency flashers are illegal here in the States.   Guess they might be confused with emergency vehicles like police, fire or ambulance.  However I do occasionally see bikes where the headlight cycles slowly between high & low beams while riding.  Not sure if those are legal or not???
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch