Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph or BMW  (Read 1323 times)

Offline pemcer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: TIGER 800
Triumph or BMW
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:26:20 AM »
Just starting to cast around for a new bike to replace my 2012 Tiger, do I stick with Triumph & buy a new Tiger 850/900 or move to the dark side & go for a BMW 900XR?

Offline AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
Re: Triumph or BMW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:57:18 AM »
Only a test ride will tell although having a dealer you can trust is also a consideration.  :028:
You are only jealous as the voices are speaking to me! Honda 90 Sport, Lambretta 200 GT then a 25 year gap, Harley Davidson 900 Sportster, Harley Davidson 1600 Fat Bob, Triumph Explorer Gen I, Triumph Explorer Gen II, Triumph 900 GT Pro.

Offline Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndrewNZ [+]
Only a test ride will tell although having a dealer you can trust is also a consideration.  :028:

Agree with this but while I think the 900XR is a cracking bike I dont feel it has the presence of the Triumph. If you keep your bikes for a few years as I do, and assume you do if youve had your 2012 from new then I think the Triumph is a better option.

Ive seen a few reports of 900XRs being traded early.

They look very good, have slightly better performance figures and the dash is the best on the market but my money went Rally Pro. I do also have a very good relationship with my dealer too.

Enjoy and be safe whatever you choose.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »
How about a KTM890?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
Contrary to general believe here in Germany, BMW quality is not as superior as it once was. All my bikes are serviced by a master mechanic who used to run the service department of the biggest BMW dealer in Frankfurt, actually the dealer was BMW itself. He says that if I had kept the BMW I started riding again 11 years I would have hade much more trouble than with the Tiger or the Bobber. And yes: The only trouble I had with the Tiger so far was the infamous gearshift cam spring, apart from that, that bike is just doing its job with excellence.

So I will never go back to the Beemers, I was considering a Yam Tracer but as long as the Tiger is running I will keep it.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:41:12 PM »
In today's era when you find a reliable motorcycle or car just keep it.

Would love to own a BMW as they run beautifully when new but this client will never return after some very bad experiences. Manufacturers should have consequences for quality standards or better the lack off. BMW and the brand name they managed to built over the years,  their strong marketing departments and nice products when new have managed to keep the sales up. However built quality of BMW products is shockingly declining but this is not reflected to the sales figures. Would really like to see where this is going in 10-20 years.

On the contrary people are saying British bikes are unreliable etc.  My Tiger has earned the right to stay as long as she wants. Also if i buy another bike it will again be a Triumph.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 09:48:30 PM »
Well I must admit those 900 XR look damn sexy, especially in the gold colour and surprisingly
it's cheaper than equally speced Triumph or Yamaha, which is a first !

But some key points to keep in mind, no adjustable forks, 17" front wheel, only 15.5l tank,
219Kg but I've read bmw like to not inclue oil and batteries and that's without any options,
which in my country is unbuyable so need to add options, speaking of options, cruise control
is one too, WTF.

I'm sure some had horror stories with Triumph or Yamaha, being my only Triumph at 22K, I'm
still impressed by the reliability, all my yamis were equally reliable, but in all my travels around
Europe, guess what bikes I saw most stuck on the side of the road, BMWs !
My yami dealer friend and even now the Ducati/Triumph all tell me many GS riders come to them
fedup with electronic gremlins, or outrageous maintenance costs.

I did test the GS and stuff, but too many things that left me skeptical, all this does that I'm pretty
much staying away from BMW.

But hey still do test it, one must not die dumb as my dad used to say  :008:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 05:38:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
219Kg but I've read bmw like to not inclue oil and batteries

I think you are wrong there. BMW list the correct weight it is Triumph who fudge the figures.
From the BMW website

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled   219 kg 1)
1) According to guideline VO (EU) 168/2013 with all fluids, with standard equipment and fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume.

I just find those parallel twin BMW motors a little boring they work but imo the have no character. They don't make you want to ride the bike they simply get you from point A to point B when you are on it.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I think you are wrong there. BMW list the correct weight it is Triumph who fudge the figures.
From the BMW website

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled   219 kg 1)
1) According to guideline VO (EU) 168/2013 with all fluids, with standard equipment and fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume.

I just find those parallel twin BMW motors a little boring they work but imo the have no character. They don't make you want to ride the bike they simply get you from point A to point B when you are on it.

I know about the EU guideline, but nowhere does it say battery at least I know they did it in
the past for sure, and look up the 850 GS, it's 229Kg one can wonder and again that's with
no options, so BMW are always heavier in reality, unlike Yamahas.

The only parallel twin that is still exciting is Honda's AT engine, but it's still nowhere exciting
as my Streetfighter 848, you just got to accept the vibes  :087: and the 6-7l/100Km.

But I agree, something about most BMW maybe except the S1000 XR... leaves me unexcited
to ride them, too "clinical" one could say.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:40:06 AM by Djairouks »

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
I did consider the 900XR (and other bikes) as my next ride but every time I get on my Tiger I'm reminded at how refined, well specced and reliable it is in the 2 years I've had her so I'll probably just keep going until it starts to fall apart. Then I'll probably end up just getting another Tiger at some point, the 900 GT perhaps. Heard some good and bad things about the BMW but that's the same with any bike, don't like the way they have CC and other electrical wizardry as optional extras though.

Although, I've got a fixation with having a DCT after having a ride on the NC750 last year. Manual is fine but I just love the idea of not having to think about changing gear in my advancing years. Very few options though that match the Tiger for spec, only the Africa Twin which is way too big and heavy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:11:05 AM by applecorp »

Recent Topics