Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Death of a Salesman  (Read 447 times)

Offline pemcer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: TIGER 800
Death of a Salesman
« on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »
Arthur Miller wrote a play called Death of a Salesman What has happened to salesmen, last year my wife was looking for a new car we arranged a test drive, on arriving at the showroom the salesman showed us the model she was interested in, when he came to start the car it was empty of petrol, took 20 minutes or more to get fuel before we could drive it, no apology, we bought elsewhere. A friend of mine whose wife rode a Tiger 800 had a bad accident 2/3 years ago now fit again to ride, decided to test ride a  new Himalayan arranged to pick it up, when she arrived at the showroom somebody had left the lights on all night & the battery was flat, no apology & no test ride. As you know from my previous post I am looking for a new bike, went to the local Triumph dealer sat on a Tiger 900 told the salesman it was too tall, he said yes they are tall, completely failed to tell me that  the seat is adjustable Triumph offer a lower seat or that you can buy a LOW version. Where do they get these people from. As somebody who spent his working life in sales I just despair.

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Death of a Salesman
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »
It does seem to be a trend, especially in the motor trade. Good dealers are rare as hens teeth. when you find one stick with 'em.

If you are nto getting any joy from your local Triumph dealer try Staffs Triumph. (Im hoping that you didn't get that reaction form Staffs Triumph TBH). They are not that far away from you, and if you have to ride a bit further/longer  to get it serviced then, erm its a bike, whats the problem

I should make it clear Im NOT connected in anyway, other than a satisfied customer with Staffs Triumph. Im not shilling for them.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
Tried three Triumph dealers when I swapped out my Explorer. The only one that tried hard was Chesterfield. Thats 100 miles from me but they delivered and collected.

Great service.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 03:15:40 PM »
 I just test rode a GT PRO this morning. Streetbike in Halesowen, Andy was brilliant, knew all about the bike and how to use the TFT screen.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »
Lots of talk that dealerships will disappear eventually with all new car/bikes being bought online.   :006:
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Jose

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
... new car/bikes being bought online.
What? Without test driving/riding it first??!! :114:

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 06:22:50 PM »
slightly OT but look what Volvo is doing to its dealers: you can buy the car online but a local dealer is required to offer a test ride with little or no compensation from Volvo. Volvo claims that the dealer will get the service jobs for the car...
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Lots of talk that dealerships will disappear eventually with all new car/bikes being bought online.   :006:

My local main dealer have just broken ground on a very large new site, so they're clearly confident. I was in the existing showroom recently to pick up a part; the parts and service counter had a customer who seemed to be getting all his paperwork for a new bike, so I waited about five minutes. During that time a couple of staff, including the guy who sold me my bike five years ago walked past repeatedly. There was no welcome or acknowledgement during that time. He did eventually ask if he could help - it took all of 20 seconds for him to grab the pre-paid item for me.

I generally prefer to use main dealers, but within a couple of weeks of buying my bike it developed an oil leak. The lack of service I received over the following weeks put me off using the dealership for servicing - despite the bike going in twice with them telling me they couldn't solve the issue, I eventually located the leak myself and it turned out to be a loose engine bolt. Each time since, when I've popped in for bits and pieces, I've never felt particularly valued. I really want to be able to use them confidently, and I'll be in the market for a new GT Pro at some point in the not too distant future, but they've never given me anything to be confident about.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
slightly OT but look what Volvo is doing to its dealers: you can buy the car online but a local dealer is required to offer a test ride with little or no compensation from Volvo. Volvo claims that the dealer will get the service jobs for the car...

It was certainly true 20 years ago when I worked within the industry that the majority of profits came from servicing, rather than sales for the majority of brands. It'll be interesting to see what happens as we see the proportion of electric vehicles increase - they have far fewer moving parts and consequently the maintenance costs are lower. I'm expecting the industry will adapt accordingly, however I think we'll see service staff numbers declining.

Recent Topics