Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spare keys  (Read 1085 times)

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Spare keys
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 11:27:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Finally, from a London perspective, it is not unknown for someone to grab your ignition key from the bike whilst you are stopped at lights etc, so possibly even consider a way to keep the key from being easily taken.

Is that true or urban myth? Any factual reports you can point to?

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 11:30:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I have first hand proof that you have never grown up. You are the world's oldest teenager.
You're probably right K1W1, so you better take Londonglide's advice for our next ride...i.e.
". I use a small lanyard with a carabiner around the bars, so if the key is removed, or falls out, it cant get far.."
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 12:25:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
You're probably right K1W1, so you better take Londonglide's advice for our next ride...i.e.
". I use a small lanyard with a carabiner around the bars, so if the key is removed, or falls out, it cant get far.."

It will be a change from being shunted forward by the bike behind me at stop signs.  :001:
Unless you have your personal valet with you you need my bike running to guide you to your destination. Keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:26:56 AM by K1W1 »

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 07:10:01 AM »
Ah, is this the blind leading the blind?? Ex-pat Kiwi leading the ex-pat Yank in the land of Oz?

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Is that true or urban myth? Any factual reports you can point to?

/>

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
Thats pretty disturbing - cant believe there are idiots who will try to pinch keys with rider on the bike!
Glad I dont live in London!
Trouble is that leads to road rage and we need to be careful on our bikes - if you've got a head full of rage you are not concentrating on busy roads
The carabiner or similar idea is probably advisable if you live in a city like that - we've all come across muppets like this at some point - best to chill out and ignore them if possible - live to fight another day  and look after your pride and joy

Offline YorkieBoy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »
I always carry a spare ignition key in one of the small jacket pockets. In 2012, I finally had my new Explorer delivered - days before the TT. Had a fantastic fortnight on the Isle of Man but it rained heavily on the day before I was due to leave. As I was camping, I decamped and stayed overnight in a Homestay in Douglas to dry things off. My ferry booking deadline was 7am (miss your ferry on the IoM during the TT and you can be stuck for days). I slept in and rushed out to the bike, loaded everything, jumped on and reached for the ignition - NO KEY  :114:

With 15 minutes to go for the ferry, I smugly reached for the little pocket containing the spare. Switched on and loadsa flashing lights - the bastard dealer had failed to programme the 2nd key! Using the breathing exercises my wife demonstrated during childbirth, I slowly retraced my steps back to the house and found the key perched on the bar of a drain.

Said a Thank You prayer and "To Infinity and Beyond!"
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT, 900GT

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]

if it werent for the weathter this looks like Naples in Italy or some place in South-America, my goodness

I'll have the spare keys in my tank bag in the rain cover compartment, as my wallet, phone etc is always in the tank bag, I'll take it with me all the time when I get off the bike.

Tank bag sits on an tank ring and almost hides the ignition lock, so I have protected that as well
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 08:24:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
I'll have the spare keys in my tank bag in the rain cover compartment, as my wallet, phone etc is always in the tank bag, I'll take it with me all the time when I get off the bike.

Maybe now that everyone on this world-wide forum knows where your keys and wallet are it would be a good time to choose a new location.😉

Offline philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »
Had a browse to look for lanyard for keyring.
Found a few made with paracord but none looked long enough.
Got some bits and pieces and had a go at making a couple.

Carabiner, split ring, paracord. Made another one with a buckle for flexibility.

Not road tested yet.
Anybody fancy one to try?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:40:20 PM by philmcglass »
Find the Line

Recent Topics