Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking of joining the gang but vertically challenged....  (Read 542 times)

Offline Nwsparky

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Fireblade
Thinking of joining the gang but vertically challenged....
« on: June 10, 2021, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi been riding for around 7 years and had bikes of all types. Im only 5ft 6 so a low seat height is a priority. Im currently on a lovely repsol blade (57) which is a stonking bike but its just not comfortable enough and does encourage very illegal speeds with great ease. I really fancy an adventure of retro bike and think the 800 tiger would be a good intro to adventure biking? I had a street triple a couple of years back and did like it.
I know there is a low version available but if I could safely lower a standard bike Id have a lot more choice. Are they easily lowered? Are they a handful to manoeuvre too being small in stature?

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Re: Thinking of joining the gang but vertically challenged....
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm not much bigger than you, about 5'7" in the morning.  I ride an 800 xrx low.  Seat is lowerable though i'm riding it in higher position. It's just right.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »
5'6" on a good day. Use the standard seat in the low position. Tried the low seat and didn't gel with it as it was a flatter shape and pushed my legs out.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:33:21 PM »
Ditto 5'6". Tall with 29" inside leg and have a dodgy knee but still manage the standard XRT with the seat in the low position.
Boots with a bit of a thicker sole help as well.

The XC is taller so was not an option for me and I would be more comfortable with the XRT being an inch lower but it's not been much of a problem over the last 3 years plus

Now I've penned this I will probably drop the damned thing on the next ride out....

Anyway - try one - make sure the seat is on the low setting - see how it feels.

Shergar

Offline Nwsparky

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 06:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far, are the models all different heights then? Are some years better than others? Ive seen a really nice lowered model on a 12 plate for 5k lots of extras. Are the later models a lot better? Worth the extra 3 or 4K?

Offline Philopastry

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRX LOW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »
Hi

I have an 800 XRX low and I have a 28 inside leg with the seat in the low position. With the balance of the bike being excellent, low & central this allows me the opportunity to ride such a great bike and when my good lady is on the back I can comfortably get both feet on the ground for stability.

:028:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nwsparky [+]
Thanks for the responses so far, are the models all different heights then? Are some years better than others? Ive seen a really nice lowered model on a 12 plate for 5k lots of extras. Are the later models a lot better? Worth the extra 3 or 4K?

As a basic both ranges have a high and low seat position with the XC being higher overall due to the 21" front spoked wheel over the XR 19" front cast wheel. Excluding the recent 'low' models, the XC models seat is 33.3" / 845mm low &  34.1" /  865mm high and the XR seat sits at 32" / 810mm low & 33" / 830mm high.

I have a 29" inside leg, though a few inches taller than 5' 6", and initially found I needed my XRt seat on the low setting to feel secure but after a few weeks when all settled in I moved the seat to the normal (high) position with no problems though not both feet flat on the ground. Fortunately I have since acquired a set of Sargent seats which totally transform the comfort.

Up to 2015, the 1st generation, the throttle is cable operated so lacking the electronic gizmos of the 2015 onwards 2nd (and later 3rd generation) bikes which have ride-by-wire throttle enabling the ECU to offer (above the basic XC/XR I think) things like cruise control, rider modes (rain, road, sport) .... basically each generation has improvements on the previous generation.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Nwsparky

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »
Ive now seen a lowered 64 plate that I also fancy. Miles are on 15k does that mean its due any major imminent servicing?
Also just watched a video review on YouTube about a guy having terrible reliability issues and service issues with his 19 plate tiger? Theres always plenty of people ready to moan about minor stuff but this guy seemed very pissed off. Ive always thought of triumph as being very reliable?

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 11:03:47 PM »
Is it an XC or an XR?  a lowered XC might be the same height as a normal XR.  A lowered XR might be same as an XR low. Best to ask seat height, it's all relative.
re reliability, i'm fairly new to Tigers but lke any other bike/car/thing, you'll always hear the stories about the one bad one.

Ive been riding a ducati m900 for 16 years and have been asked many times, even since before i bought it if i wasn't worried about the dodgy and unreliable electrics on them.  It hasn't blinked once ever.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 06:03:54 AM »
Sparky, to answer your question about lowering. It's relatively easy to lower these bikes. You need longer links ( dog bones) in order to lower the rear suspension, how much depends on what you need. the front is lowered by raising the forks in the triple tree.

Chico

Recent Topics

winded-staunch