Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger is dying at 4k rpms  (Read 328 times)

Offline s.ga.rider

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger xcx
Tiger is dying at 4k rpms
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:44:12 PM »
My new to me 2015 xcx started dying on me today. Its like limp mode in a car, I hit 4k rpms and its like you completely let off the throttle. The motor completely stops until it gets to around 3500rpms then its fine. Keep it below 4k rpms and it runs fine.
The bike has 11k miles on it, I got it 1k miles ago and its been great. I rode it yesterday 50 miles(got caught in a heavy downpour for about 10mins, dont know if that could be related) and I rode it 75 miles today, it ran perfect. Stopped for lunch then it started doing this. Shut it off a few times, restarted and its the same. I let it sit a few hours, charged the battery to 100%(original battery) and didnt make it 100 yds before hitting 4k rpms and the same happened. I did notice a differnt engine noise at 3k rpms that wasnt there before. More like something vibrating. It doesnt do any of this in neutral, revs fine until its moving.

I did change the plugs, antifreeze and installed a new airfilter/snorkel 300 miles ago. The only thing I know to do is pull the tank an check everything over again. Any ideas? I really dont want to take it to the shop.

Oh yeah, no check engine lights.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Tiger is dying at 4k rpms
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:41:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by s.ga.rider [+]
" I did notice a differnt engine noise at 3k rpms that wasnt there before. More like something vibrating. It doesnt do any of this in neutral, revs fine until its moving.

I did change the plugs,

Check to make sure your coils are secure and not an intermittent connection due to  vibration, especially given you recently removed them. (And anything else loose)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:43:47 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:29:51 AM »
You should also check to make sure that the air intake is not constricted. Maybe the snorkel is not fitted correctly.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 03:57:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Check...an intermittent connection due to  vibration, especially given you recently removed them.
Including the electrical connector for the fuel pump -- if you can pull it off without first releasing the clip? -- it's not properly connected (even if it seems so).
DAMHIK
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline s.ga.rider

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger xcx
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:56:40 PM »
I went to take the tank off today and noticed the fuel line was crimped. Fixed it and its running perfect now. Duh!

Recent Topics