Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Electrical, Lighting, and Wiring

Duff Battery, Dopey Rider or Disgruntled ECU ?

(1/2) > >>

Rogue_Shadow:
Hi Org,

Just after a second opinion on a “one off” starting issue with my 2015 Tiger.

Today I took the bike for around 1-2 hours, I then stopped for 45 minutes at a friend’s place then rode 10 minutes home.
I Parked in front of my garage & turned the bike off so I could unlock the garage, however when I went to restart the bike it wouldn’t fire up.
After cycling the kill switch & kick stand & turning the ignition on/off a few times, I still had no ignition / startup however I realised my rider trips & clock had been wiped from the display. I plugged in my Optimate, waited 10 minutes & the bike fired up first time.

I will admit that after unlocking my garage & trying to start the bike, I think I hit the starter before it had completed the usual start up sequence & when that failed, rather than cycling the ignition I hit the starter button again 2-3 seconds later.
After this, I never heard the fuel pump until the optimate was plugged in.
Did I lock myself out of the ignition by rushing the startup?

Alternatively, however unlikely, could I of left my parking lights ON when I stopped for 45 minutes? Would this of depleted the battery enough to only allow one more ignition/startup?

Or is this a sign of electrical / charging gremlins ?
The optimate went solid green after 30-45 minutes.

Again, no other issues encountered prior to this.
Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

ItchyOxter:
Do you have / or could you borrow a multimeter to check battery / charging condition?

Rogue_Shadow:
Originally Posted by ItchyOxter Do you have / or could you borrow a multimeter to check battery / charging condition?

Think I might have to.
Only had the Optimate charge status lights as an indicator to the battery health.
Thanks

Londonglide:
How old is the battery?, they are consumables,  do you have the original starter motor, a known issue on older bikes?

Stevie.P:
The battery would be my primary suspect, especially if the original, check it for a date sticker/label if you don't know. My 2015 battery gave out about 18 months ago. A battery charger cannot give a condition status, it could be fully charged but now only holding minimal actual power capacity.  :027:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version