Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour  (Read 1530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chuckxc

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 945
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
  • Location: OZ
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 01:36:19 PM »
Sounds like one of those factory designed built in safety features...
If an in-experienced rider hits the brakes hard with an urgent need to stop but  fails to back off the throttle, the ECU drops the engine to give priority to the braking.
A little similar to the cruise control automatically dropping out when the brakes are tapped.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Reggieboy

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. What triggered this was something Triumph themselves mentioned in their bumph that suggested the 900 was less prone to stall. So it is an issue. Yes I was able to use more revs and some clutch slip at take off but i personally don't like that. Both of my other bikes are easier to launch. It sounds like a test ride of the 900 is required! Ill report back

Offline tauzero

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 830
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: Tamworth, UK
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »
Gen 1 and 2 800 Tigers had a steeper first gear than Gen 3 ones and the 900. Could that have been a factor?
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 934
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Gen 1 and 2 800 Tigers had a steeper first gear than Gen 3 ones and the 900. Could that have been a factor?

Exactly never ever stalled my 3rd gen and the 1st gear is the same on the 900, 2.62 instead of 2.31
so 13% increase, I even bumped it by 7% putting a 15T sprocket on my gen 3, now that's never ever
going to stall and fun !

Offline YorkieBoy

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
  • Location: March
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 08:45:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Reggieboy [+]
Hi

I had a Tiger 800 XR for two years and all was well until my wife and I began some loaded trips. (Scottish b roads) The increased load showed the bike to be prone to stalling on uphill take offs unless it got a lot of revs. Along with its top heavy nature i eventually parted with it. Then the 900 came out. My question is; is it any better?. The 800 would stall as though it had switched off - there was never any warning of the engine bogging down. It just seemed to lack grunt at very low revs. By comparison my NC750 and my Interceptor are so much easier to launch.

I fancy a 900 but not unless the new engine has better characteristics. I'm miles from a dealer so would like to know if a test ride is worth the effort.

Interesting thread. I had one of the first Explorers and it occasionally cut out inexplicably at low revs, usually when the clutch lever was pulled. I had a '16 XRt 800 that did as you describe, probably every 1000 miles or so. Got a 900 GT now, done 4500 miles and no sign of stalling, feels lighter and suspension feels smoother. Front brake is reassuringly savage and rear a touch less bite than the 800. Wish I could have the satnav above the display. Happy though
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT, 900GT

Offline Tallpaul

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 218
  • Bike: 800XR
  • Location: Kidderminster
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 09:09:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by YorkieBoy [+]
Interesting thread. I had one of the first Explorers and it occasionally cut out inexplicably at low revs, usually when the clutch lever was pulled. I had a '16 XRt 800 that did as you describe, probably every 1000 miles or so. Got a 900 GT now, done 4500 miles and no sign of stalling, feels lighter and suspension feels smoother. Front brake is reassuringly savage and rear a touch less bite than the 800. Wish I could have the satnav above the display. Happy though

Evotech make a mounting to go over the display.

Offline YorkieBoy

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
  • Location: March
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 06:38:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Reggieboy [+]
Hi

I had a Tiger 800 XR for two years and all was well until my wife and I began some loaded trips. (Scottish b roads) The increased load showed the bike to be prone to stalling on uphill take offs unless it got a lot of revs. Along with its top heavy nature i eventually parted with it. Then the 900 came out. My question is; is it any better?. The 800 would stall as though it had switched off - there was never any warning of the engine bogging down. It just seemed to lack grunt at very low revs. By comparison my NC750 and my Interceptor are so much easier to launch.

I fancy a 900 but not unless the new engine has better characteristics. I'm miles from a dealer so would like to know if a test ride is worth the effort.

Interesting thread. I had one of the first Explorers and it occasionally cut out inexplicably at low revs, usually when the clutch lever was pulled. I had a '16 XRt 800 that did as you describe, probably every 1000 miles or so. Got a 900 GT now, done 4500 miles and no sign of stalling, feels lighter and suspension feels smoother. Front brake is reassuringly savage and rear a touch less bite than the 800. Wish I could have the satnav above the display. Happy though.

P.S. Just returned from a 240 mile back road thrash up to the Humber Bridge, twice I caught the sidestand with my left foot when moving off, momentarily lifting it off it's microswitch & causing the engine to switch off
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT, 900GT

Offline mcinlb

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 507
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
  • Location: Scotland
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »
YorkieBoy,
see this thread re sat nav above the display..

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,29651.0.html

Offline coach

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
  • Location: New Hampshaaaaa
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by YorkieBoy [+]

..P.S. Just returned from a 240 mile back road thrash up to the Humber Bridge, twice I caught the sidestand with my left foot when moving off, momentarily lifting it off it's microswitch & causing the engine to switch off

Reminds me of my ole Tiger 1050 SE.  I live atop a small mountain with an extremely steep 1 mile dirt road approach.  In the Summer it gets wickedly washboarded from vehicles climbing the grade in the loose sand enough to drive the traction control crazy.  I try to remember to switch to off-road mode before heading up, but sometimes forget.  Its so bumpy the 1050 (with no off road mode) side stand would bounce up and down and occasionally the kill switch would shut the engine down.  Sometimes only briefly (coughing) others times it just stopped the bike cold.  Not what you wanted climbing a steep incline.  :156: Once stopped the bike would always start right up again hitting the starter and off I would go.   Told my dealer about it and they put some sort of super strong spring on the side stand which stopped the issue.  My R1200GS did it occasionally too, but never stalled.  My Tiger 900 has never done any of that, thankfully.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:58:27 PM by coach »
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Offline YorkieBoy

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
  • Location: March
Re: Tiger 800/900 low speed behaviour
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
YorkieBoy,
see this thread re sat nav above the display..

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,29651.0.html

Excellent! Cheers mcinlb; I've just spent the day daydreaming about making brackets (I even worked through drilling holes through the screen), then saw this link. My RAM bits will shortly be redundant and, once again, assigned to the Big Biscuit Tin. Very grateful
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT, 900GT

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch