Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900: 600 mile / 3 week review  (Read 1746 times)

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
Tiger 900: 600 mile / 3 week review
« on: July 06, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
Hi all,
I thought it might be helpful to any perspective 900 buyers to share my thoughts so far. Please forgive me if Im covering old ground. Its a long post so scroll on if not interested!

Background
Bike: Traded in a 800 XRX after 4 happy years ownership to a 900 GT PRO
Me: 95kg, 175cm, (59)
Headset: Interphone Tour
Phone: iPhone XR
Helmet: Shoei Hornet ADV

Controls
Mostly ok. Backlighting very useful. Cruise control works well, and is much less of a jolt than the 800 when shutting the throttle to cancel. Joystick for the menu is a little too close to the indicator switch. Indicator switch feel different and not as positive as the 800 so therefore Im constantly checking that Ive put them on. Heated grips are adequate, but nowhere near as hot as Oxfords. Nice to have them integrated though.

TFT / Connectivity Module
Mahoosive, and easy to see in all conditions. Revs arent the easiest to see. Screen 4 works best for me, allowing whatever main information you want to be displayed on the LHS. Some of the icon positions seem a tad random but it works ok. Extra 0 present on the speedo in annoying and unnecessary. I tend to spend most of my riding under 100mph, so why cant it just appear as a 1 when reaching 100mph? I wonder if Triumph will improve things with a firmware update, as it could be amazing? Connectivity wise, Ive managed to get everything working apart from SMS. Not a big deal at all, but I do wonder why it wont work. Sat nav is OK. What 3 Words is a brilliant app, but here you get a lite version which does a job, but is nowhere near as functional as a dedicated sat nav or even a decent nav app on the phone.

Mirrors
Superb, and very clear

Screen
Much better than the 800 stock screen, and for me fine up to 60mph. Above this, I get quite a bit of noise and turbulence, even in the highest position. If I crouch down a couple of inches, Im in a relative state of calm air, so it looks like an upgrade is required (Puig looks good) or perhaps the Triumph screen spoiler.

Seat
Heat is lovely and hot once fully warmed up (how have I managed to get by without one)! Comfort for me is about the same as the stock 800 - anything more than 1.5hrs gets a bit sore, but it may (or may not) bed in over time. Wife is happy with pillion seat, and thinks because its stepped slightly higher she has more leg room and a better overall position. She loves the heat too of course!

Lights
Loving the LED setup, particularly the indicators. Wish I could have DRL and fog / ancillary lights on together but I understand why not. Not tested low/high beam at night yet. I do wish theyd carried over the Tiger signature 2 stripe rear light though. Its a bit plain Jane.

Ride and Tyres
Great to be able to alter preload and dampening from the TFT (I regularly carry a passenger). General ride seems plusher than 800 in all settings. Tyres (Metzler Tourance Next) have their haters, but whilst they dont give  me the confidence of my previous Dunlop RoadSmart 3s or Michelin 5s, theyre ok. Apart from tram-lining like a tw@t on overbanding etc like nothing Ive ever known. You get used to it, but Im not sure why they do it: tread pattern? I can live with them until theyre ready for replacement.

Engine and Brakes
The stars of the show IMO. Having been on an i2i machine control course today, with several e-stop exercises, I can vouch that the brakes are immense, with so much power. For me, this is probably the single biggest improvement over the 800, which never gave me much confidence.
The engine changes are well documented, and youll either love it or hate it depending on what you want from a bike. Yes, gone is the 800 smoothness, replaced with a twin-like gruffness low down which punches the bike out of corners with ease. Im probably riding a gear higher for most situations compared to the 800, the torque is that impressive. Yes it brings some hand and foot vibes to the party. For me, nothing too intrusive but thatll be a very personal thing. For a stock Euro5 exhaust, it makes a lovely sound too. The 900 definitely has character in spades.

Mundane stuff
Easier to manoeuvre around the garage, and whatever changes Triumph has made to the centre stand position / mechanism, it works. So, so easy.

Anyway, if youve got this far, thanks for reading. I hope it will be of use to someone. Let me know if you agree or disagree  :064:
Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Matt  :001:

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
Re: Tiger 900: 600 mile / 3 week review
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
Glad you like your new bike - as for the screen issue Ive had same thing on my 800 XRX and just had some stainless steel brackets made (just a 12mm wide strip like the old Meccano ) with a few holes drilled for each of the 4 fixing points which enable me to lift up the screen to whatever height works - this works well for me

Offline YorkieBoy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »
Post is much appreciated & I fully concur. I had one of the first Explorers and that tramlined on Next tyres when the rear began to square off. My recently acquired 900 GT is the same - quite disconcerting. Once, the Explorer did a tramline twitch as I accelerated hard and the rear broke away - with the Traction Control light flashing maniacally. This was in the dry.

I find the narrower seat a bit comfier than my 800's but arse-ache is going to happen whatever. An American friend swore by sheepskin seat covers and I have to reluctantly admit he's not wrong. I don't suffer badly on iron butt-type rides but I've tried all manner of derriere comforters over the years and a bit of sheepskin does it for me + buffs the leathers up nicely.

That centre stand is revelatory! Even my wife could get it up (girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre...so the barman gave her one).

One 900 fault that may only occur with me is that side stand; when moving off I occasionally catch the side stand when raising or lowering my foot. This, of course, activates the cut-out switch.
Half the world have a less than average intelligence

C15, 350 Mac Velo, 200 Lambretta, 175 Jawa, 500 AJS Model 20, 650 SS Norton, 750 Commando, SP370 Suzuki, Guzzi Le Man II, Tiger 955i, Speed Triple, 1600 Tbird, Street Triple, 1700 Tbird, Explorer, 1700 LT, Street Triple, Tiger 800 XRT, 900GT

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
Very good review Matt and Yorkie Boy, I agree with all your comments except the side stand clash! Try the new Tracer 9GT for a proper clash!

I am adding a cheapo ebay deflector to the top of my screen. I had one on my 800XR which made a world of difference. However, because of the height of the 900 screen, it obstructs my eyeline a little so I'm getting one with two side fixings.

I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg room.

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
Very good review Matt and Yorkie Boy, I agree with all your comments except the side stand clash! Try the new Tracer 9GT for a proper clash!

I am adding a cheapo ebay deflector to the top of my screen. I had one on my 800XR which made a world of difference. However, because of the height of the 900 screen, it obstructs my eyeline a little so I'm getting one with two side fixings.

I'm 6'2" and have plenty of leg room.

Thank you. Could you let us know (on this thread or PM) how you get on with it please? The Triumph deflector is 138!

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by matt748 [+]
... The engine changes are well documented, and youll either love it or hate it depending on what you want from a bike. Yes, gone is the 800 smoothness ... Yes it brings some hand and foot vibes to the party. For me, nothing too intrusive but thatll be a very personal thing.
Without doubt the the Tiger 900 GT PRO is an impressive package, but as an 800 owner I cannot bring myself to consider loosing the superb smoothness of the 800.
Re-introducing vibration to modern motorcycles by Triumph in 2021 is surely not engineering progress and takes me back to the old days of motorcycling ... Just saying.

An excellent review though.  :028:
My My, How Time Flies ... 62 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2021 !

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
Good review,  yes I agree on indicator switch and the tyres are not suited for this bike so they will be changed when I put a few miles on them. The other niggle is the service interval.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:13:08 PM by TIger Lad »
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »
I think the primary complaint I have right now with it is the headlights, they work but I don't feel they're nearly as good as the halogens in my 2012 were.  Those lit up the future while the ones on my GTP are barely adequate to me.  I think it's the light spectrum difference but I can't be certain.

I've only put 3200km on it this year so far so I'm still bedding it in but it's a decent bike, I really wish they made better use of the TFT though.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by TIger Lad [+]
Good review,  yes I agree on indicator switch and the tyres are not suited for this bike so they will be changed when I put a few miles on them. The other niggle is the service interval.

Oh right, the turn signal switch. That feels weird and is definitely to close to the control toggle.

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by prenticemarie [+]
Without doubt the the Tiger 900 GT PRO is an impressive package, but as an 800 owner I cannot bring myself to consider loosing the superb smoothness of the 800.
Re-introducing vibration to modern motorcycles by Triumph in 2021 is surely not engineering progress and takes me back to the old days of motorcycling ... Just saying.

An excellent review though.  :028:

Thank you, and I completely understand your viewpoint. I was of the same opinion being a long time 800 owner, but the 900 has won me over. Maybe being an ex Ducati 748 owner helped sway me!

Recent Topics