Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XRX Low - Rear wheel Lift for Servicing  (Read 2174 times)

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
Tiger 800 XRX Low - Rear wheel Lift for Servicing
« on: July 10, 2021, 10:40:58 PM »
I have a 2018 800 XRX low and no good way to lift the rear wheel up for oiling the chain or other procedures.  Looking on this site, others have made various bolt on type frames to allow use of some kind of lift but the frame on my bike does not look the same.  (Could the frame on the low be different?)   What appears to be lugs for a center stand do not align.  One is 3" lower and 1" forward of the other.  They are also 12" apart.   (Does Triumph design in inches?)  I made something up and wanted to share as others have.  This is 1" square, 1/8" wall tubing.  You can see that I'm not a great welder.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Tiger 800 XRX Low - Rear wheel Lift for Servicing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:49:54 PM »
your diy stand is a practical solution and is fine. However to answer your question, the actual attachment point for the OEM stand on the left side is that hole forward (black insert) of your attachment. You will find that it is aligned with your right side attachment. The OEM centre stand left hand hinge attachment is flush with the inside of that point to clear the sidestand bolts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:57:06 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:26:20 AM »
McMan56, i just used a paddock stand that i use for my other bikes, an oxford one, to take off my back wheel for a puncture repair.
Admittedly it was nor a great fit on the curved edge of the tiger swinging arm but it worked fine.  When it as hoisted up, i wedged a few bits of wood underneath just as a wee insurance policy

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 12:43:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
your diy stand is a practical solution and is fine. However to answer your question, the actual attachment point for the OEM stand on the left side is that hole forward (black insert) of your attachment. You will find that it is aligned with your right side attachment. The OEM centre stand left hand hinge attachment is flush with the inside of that point to clear the sidestand bolts.

That black hole along with the one above the shifter is an M8 thread to hold on a plastic cover.  It is still about too 3" high to line up with the right side.  The lower kick stand bolt is in about the right place horizontally but still about 1/2" high.  Could that be close enough for a center stand?  I assume the low model has very low production numbers and it would not make sense to have a different frame.     

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 01:38:43 AM »
Ok. I was looking at my XCX. I must have a different arrangement.
The centre stand attachment points have to be in line so that it will pivot.
I recall the Low version centre stand  uses the sidestand bolt holes at the sacrifice of a side stand. Other low users will know.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Online chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 04:53:32 AM »
mcman56, I have the same lift and scissor lift as you. What I do is: put a piece of carpet on the scissor lift flat top and raise the rear of the bike by placing it under the suspension points. Works well and no jerry rigged welded contraption.
I do commend you for your ingenuity but you're overthinking the issue. :125:

Chico

Offline pme

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
I was told by my triumph dealer there was no centre stand available for the low due to cornering clearance being  compromised.

I bought a cheap paddock stand and made some bobbins (they had no stock at the time) see piccy
downside is you cant do much on the rear suspension

Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250 Yamaha WR200

Offline pme

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
wide wheelbase of the stand makes it very stable
Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250 Yamaha WR200

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »
One secondary goal was to have something compact that could work just like a center stand.  Once mounted, I can just tilt the bike up, slide the lift under and raise.  It will allow pulling the suspension links for greasing.  Does Triumph do a good job of greasing things at the factory? 

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
It's a very robust looking job.  Is it to stay mounted on the bike?  If so, I take it you've checked ground clearance etc for cornering incl with a load on?  There wouldn't be much mercy if that bit caught on a bump on a corner.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch