Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement chain and sprockets  (Read 969 times)

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Replacement chain and sprockets
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
On that webpage selling the chain & sprocket set, it says

"Matches", not "exceeds", so you pay twice as much for a chain that offers no benefits other than not having to grovel around every few hundred miles putting oil on it and/or fitting a chain oiler. If it was double (or more) the chain life, it would be very tempting but I think I'll stick with the Scottoiler and the occasional grovel to apply an extra bit.

I'm still very skeptical about the no oil part, because everything but maybe the side plates,
are made of steel which will rust if not properly maintained, even a 2um coating on rollers
will not make a huge or long difference.

Honestly this chain is a few years old, if it was so amazing there would be real life reviews
all around, yet you can't find any...

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
Yup it's only news worthy now as BMW added it as an option.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »
They discussed the BMW version on the recent Revzilla podcast and it didn't last as long as regular chain with normal maintenance.

Offline Spudman

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 09:39:38 AM »
Looks like a Scottoiler or similar is a good investment then.
Tiger 800
Suzuki GSX600F drag bike.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
I am also running Cobbra 2 and mixing chainsaw bar oil and gearbox oil.

Whilst it gets a bit dirty during Summer in OZ the std weight lube just washes off in the heat I found.... and leaves a calling card everywhere which is a bit embarrassing.

However it is really easy to clean with some spray can degreaser and and hose... or the engine wash at the car wash ..

So my chain is always damp and my theory is that the wear on the front and rear sprockets is reduced .... and a bit quieter.

Have opted for this after some big rides with adventure and dirt and if using spray lube you know the dust and dirt is not coming off and if on the highway day after day with successive lubes it is just sealing it on. So I have on a couple of occasions even hit it with the hose (chain bar oil is water dissolvable and bio degradable) and can get the worst of the dust and grit off, ride for a while until it dries it out and give it a screw on the Cobbra cap.

Always amuses me when some dude goes past with a ridiculously loud chain and you just know that it has never been lubed or adjusted properly, its showing rust and ready to sh1t itself.

Btw, running DID and either JT or RK sprockets.... but its always lubed.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
I am also running Cobbra 2 and mixing chainsaw bar oil and gearbox oil.

Same here. I have been using the Cobbra 2 for a couple of years although I just use straight 90w gear oil. I generally just turn the Cobbra a quarter of a turn once a day or after each petrol fill when I'm on a trip and the chain stays fairly well lubed. If I remember I turn it on when I'm 15-30 minutes from home and when I get home it has stopped dripping oil and the chain is lubed ready to sit until the next ride. I find that there is almost no mess which is great.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch