Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph extended warranty  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Triumph extended warranty
« on: July 16, 2021, 11:01:12 AM »

Has anyone bought the extended warranty from triumph? 250 for 1 year or 400 for 2 years. Had a look at independent quotes and a bit cheaper, but the hassle factor comes into play and i would be easier to just deal with the dealer direct. Had to make a claim for my last explorer as the paint was pealing off the sump and other engine parts, and it was replace just before the 2 years warranty expired. They also had to rebuild the rear calliper as it got water ingress and seized.
 I will also be posting about Rally wheels.. Anyone other owners noticed the black 'paint' coming off where the wire spokes enter the rim?

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: Triumph extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]
Has anyone bought the extended warranty from triumph? 250 for 1 year or 400 for 2 years. Had a look at independent quotes and a bit cheaper, but the hassle factor comes into play and i would be easier to just deal with the dealer direct. Had to make a claim for my last explorer as the paint was pealing off the sump and other engine parts, and it was replace just before the 2 years warranty expired. They also had to rebuild the rear calliper as it got water ingress and seized.
 I will also be posting about Rally wheels.. Anyone other owners noticed the black 'paint' coming off where the wire spokes enter the rim?

buy the bike in Germany you get 4 years warranty for free
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »
Nothing is free Herr chef. It's undoubtedly in the purchase price.

Chico

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 10:31:19 PM »
 :0461:

Sorry 😔

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »
Self insure. Put the 400 in a dedicated bank account and leave it there. If you dont use it within the warranty period as statistically you are unlikely to then at the end of the period you are ahead. Only use the money for things that break that would be covered under warranty not for routine maintenance.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Nothing is free Herr chef. It's undoubtedly in the purchase price.

Chico

of course but when they introduced this they did not raise the price...

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
of course but when they introduced this they did not raise the price...

Triumph is soooo benevolent. :047: Probably needed to raise sales. :084:

Chico

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 12:18:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Triumph is soooo benevolent. :047: Probably needed to raise sales. :084:

Chico

I think it is all to do with market expectations in different countries. I see Triumph have just introduced to great fanfare two years roadside assistance with new bikes. Here in Australia we have had that for 10 years because every manufacturer has at least that.

Offline 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
Providing longer and longer warranties is their way of generating a captive audience for their ludicrously expensive dealer servicing.

Cynical?  Me?

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 01:21:48 PM »
all sorts of flames thrown...
I am not stupid, they were not extending the guarantee because they are the good guys, they wanted to increase their market share (did not work as far as I know). I guess over here Triumph still had to struggle with the quality problems of the 70s. "British Leyland" was known over here as "Britisch Elend" (British misery).

And yes longer guarantee means more service from a registered dealer to comply with the guarantee rules and the dealers are more expensive than others. A standard service is about 70 Euros cheaper at an independend garage.

For me it worked in the end: I had the gear shift spring problem well into the third year of the Tiger, so repair was for free and I had a new XRt for a week as an exchange bike free of charge which was good as I was toying with the idea to turn my 2013 bike in and get a new one. After the test week I knew it was not worth the extra money.

However so far my two triumph bikes are the most reliable bikes I ever had, better than the Yamahas and BMWs I had

My bobber is a demo bike and in its third year I had a crack in the plastic housing of the ignition lock, again repaired under guarantee and this was a major job as the steering lock needed to be changed as well and that took them half the day.

Recent Topics