Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Locknuts.....  (Read 554 times)

Offline Jofnah

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tigerxrx800
Locknuts.....
« on: July 21, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »
Tiger 800 XRX: Triumph have used a locknut on the rear wheel spindle and four more on the suspension linkages. They say you need to use new locknuts every time you take them off because the threadlock inside them will be goosed. OK, fair enough for the suspension linkages, you only need to do them every 12,000 miles. But the rear spindle? A new nut every time you loosen it to adjust the chain seems like overkill. Who does this? What's the alternative? Is aftermarket threadlock on the old nuts gonna be sufficient....?  :417:

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Locknuts.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:54:58 PM »
During my 12k service I degreased the linkage nuts and then reassembled with medium strength 243 Loctite. If it was a 24k service, meaning the nuts had already been used twice, I might then have used new nuts depending on the condition of the old ones. I didn't use Loctite on the rear wheel spindle as you can easily check for tightness periodically.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:37:57 PM »
I am skeptical of the need for a new nut each time it is loosened. When I first did a remove and replace on the rear wheel, I reused the nut and tightened to the specified torque. Checked it about 1 month later and the nut was tight. Fast forward to next tire change and the nut was still tight (didn't move when torqued).

Raises the question: Has any one here had a rear axle nut that was properly torqued loosen up?

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:18:24 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing the warning about the rear wheel spindle nut but I can say I have had the rear wheel on the XRX out numerous times (3 rear tyre changes to start with) or loosened for chain adjustment and the nut has never been loose when I have come to undo it. Sounds like the lawyers got to the manual to me.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I can't recall ever seeing the warning about the rear wheel spindle nut but I can say I have had the rear wheel on the XRX out numerous times (3 rear tyre changes to start with) or loosened for chain adjustment and the nut has never been loose when I have come to undo it. Sounds like the lawyers got to the manual to me.
That's was what I was thinking...

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:17:47 AM »
I haven't got a workshop manual but rely on the Haynes Manual. As far as I can see, this specifies new nuts for the rear suspension linkages but does not specify a new nut for the rear wheel spindle which seems reasonable.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:41:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Sounds like the lawyers got to the manual to me.

as a lawyer, on balance of probabilites your view is probably correct  :492:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:18:58 AM »
All my nuts are original.  10.5 years and counting. Multiple disassembles, chain adjustments and replacements and tyres.  Not an issue and all torqued to factory settings.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:04:31 AM »
nyloc nuts are officially single use, single on/off cycle. alwasy have been.

Fastenright assert Nylocs are re useable for around 15 times.

doens't mean you can't use them more than once just if soemthing bad happens and the nut loosens after first use then there is no liability on the manufcturer or Triumph. or put another way its on your head. rerad up the facts, assess the risk and decide accordingly.

if you are that concerned then put a dab of Loctite (the 'lightest': 22x (purple) 24x (blue) NOT RED) on the clean(ed) threads. no doubt an engineer will be along shortly to point out the error of my ways  :492:

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:36:48 PM »
I believe the fasteners in question are Distorted Thread Locknuts (may not be quite the correct technical term) rather than Nylocs and rely on the outside end of the thread being distorted to provide the necessary thread locking. The problem with them is that tightening them up the first time tends to correct the distorted portion of thread and so, when used the second and subsequent times, they do not work as well, if at all. The problem with Nyloc nuts is that are not very good at holding the original tightening torque which makes them unsuitable for this particular type of application.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch