Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Locknuts.....  (Read 701 times)

Offline Jofnah

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tigerxrx800
Re: Locknuts.....
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 03:23:49 PM »
Thanks guys. Just as I thought: Reusing the lock-nuts is normal and no-one seems to have had any trouble with that. It just bothers me that the front spindle has two clamp bolts to stop it coming loose and the rear spindle has nothing, not even a good old castellated nut with a split pin..... 

I got one of these from a mate with a truck that has 27mm wheelnuts. What do you think (I'll spray it black of course)....? Easier than taking a torque wrench on long trips into the back of beyond!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »
Rear torqued to 110nm. I've yet to see one loosen but hayho every day is a school day.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 04:16:47 PM »
I still have the original on my 2012 as far as I know.  I would like if it gave a cotter pin option like my wifes Versys though.

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »
I think using a so-called Wheel Nut Indicator (WNI) is quite a good idea because, as indicated, it provides you with an instant indication of whether the nut has moved however unlikely! That said, a spot of black or white paint at the nut 9 o'clock position might be sufficient and is certainly something I will consider doing :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Jofnah

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tigerxrx800
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »
....and just checking that I wasn't imnagining it.  :033:

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 06:57:14 AM »
re-use, torque, and a dab of paint on the frame and nut to provide a visual reference - been doing that for years without any hassles

just glad to hear that everybody's nuts are still in place  :152:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Recent Topics