Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mis-fire after turning.  (Read 537 times)

Offline romanrick

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
Mis-fire after turning.
« on: July 22, 2021, 06:23:01 PM »
My 2011 Tiger XC has recently started to misfire on opening the throttle after turning out of junctions, it feels like water in the fuel but wondered about fuel filter replacement as this is only scheduled if the pump is replaced (all in one unit). It has done 38,500 miles without any other problems to date and on checking with my DealerTool, no faults were given, and throttle bodies were balanced perfectly. Looking back through misfire posts on here seem to point to water, but I just wanted to ask in case there were any other possibilities.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
Re: Mis-fire after turning.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »
I think someone did have a coil stick go bad, and it might not give an eml, but I can't be sure.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:45:49 PM »
If you want to eliminate water in the fuel as an issue tip 200ml or so of Methylated Spirits into the tank and then fill it with fuel. The Meths breaks down the surface tension between the fuel and water and allows any water to pass harmlessly through the engine and out the exhaust as steam. 

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 02:24:04 AM »
Use a Guglatech fuel filler filter if you want to make sure there is absolutely no water getting into your tank.

Offline AKTiger123

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:00:45 AM »
Hi I have had a somewhat similar issue with poor performance after I got a tank of contaminated fuel  - no warning lights - no error codes stored.  fuel cleaner / stabiliser and fresh fuel after siphoning the tank seems to have made a difference but it has taken its time to get back to normal approx 300 miles.  I was also told by a reliable source once done leave it to get to operating temp 1 cycle of the fans and leave for 12 mins do not touch the throttle and it should re calibrate - good luck

Offline romanrick

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »
Thanks, your tip sounds interesting Kiwi, certainly the easiest way to try and sort it. And the other ideas will get noted as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:54:06 PM by romanrick »

Recent Topics