Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms  (Read 1732 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bladerunner99

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 499
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« on: August 16, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
2018 800 XCA.  I have recently discovered one of my chain links has a damaged/displaced O ring and several extremely tight links, I am therefore having to prematurely replace the chain and sprockets.

To say I am disappointed  at the short lifespan of this OEM chain would be a gross understatement. I have always meticulously maintained my bikes including the chains and have never had a chain fail at such a low mileage.  The bike has been used mostly off road in dry dusty sandy environments but is fitted with a reliable chain oiler and gets cleaned and lubed after each off road trip.

Whilst undertaking my research I came across this vid from FortNine
in which several chain cleaning fluids were tested and to my surprise Kerosene (which I have always used to clean my chains), was found to seep its way between the O rings. 

So I am wondering if my ritual cleaning with Kerosene has actually resulted in the untimely demise of my RK OEM chain and would be interested to hear your opinions on the matter and what you use to clean your chain.

Many thanks BR

Ride to work. Work to ride

Online K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4848
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 01:57:32 PM »
I dont think you can blame the OEM chain I think you should just blame bad luck.
My OEM chain lasted well into the 30,000km period and it did not get the best of attention and from my reading of this forum over the last 7 or so years I think my distance is way closer to the average than yours,
Sometimes you win sometimes you dont.
I clean chains 2 or 3 times a year with kerosine and the rest of the time I simply lube them previously with the white spray on stuff and recently with an oil dripper with 90 weight gear oil.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:00:55 PM by K1W1 »

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 9018
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi V7850
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
As per K1W1 34k km. When cleaned which to be fair I'm trying to improve on now I'm into another chain and sprockets, I use white spirit and a soft paint brush so am generally just getting the surface muck off. Once cleaned I tend to wipe the chain dry before applying PDL,
Moto Guzzi V7 Centenario baby!

Online chuckxc

  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 1070
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
  • Location: OZ
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 10:41:44 PM »

 :418:
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline xsrider

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
  • Be seeing you.
  • Bike: 2014 Roadie ABS
  • Location: San Francisco
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:52:33 AM »
I know this is going to sound strange, but I clean my chain with Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil.  https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L212-Lrail-Each/dp/B00200B22S/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=lubricating+oil&qid=1629174980&sr=8-10

I spray it on, wipe it off, and it works great at removing grime.  It has a thicker viscosity than kerosene and is less likely to seep in between the o-rings.  I then lube the chain with Belray Super Clean.  I usually replace my chains at 25,000 miles.

Offline Derchef1962

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1262
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
  • Location: DE-Frankfurt
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »
The best method to maintain a chain is a highly debated issue. I am using a dry lube based on sillicone for years now and the chains last about 30 - 40,000 kms. The main advantage of a dry lube is that the chain does not need cleaning as there is no grease to which dirt, sand etc. may cling. For the same reason the bike itself is clean whereas with normal lube you will always find bits of the grease on the frame, the swing arm, panniers etc.. I know some people say a scott oiler is necessary but if you look at bikes with one you see how much oil is on the bike. The major set back of dry lube is that you need to apply it far more often (every 500 kms) and riding through rain means you have to lube the chain after that. Unlike standard grease you can lube the chain just before you start, you would not want to do that with normal grease as the major part of the grease will be flung off the chain.

To me the advantages of the dry lube stuff outweigh the need to apply it more significantly. I put my bike on the center stand, start the engine, first gear in idle mode, spray spray, that is done in under 5 minutes.


Just sayin'
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4234
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
2018 800 XCA.  I have recently discovered one of my chain links has a damaged/displaced O ring and several extremely tight links, I am therefore having to prematurely replace the chain and sprockets.

Regardless of mileage (mine lasted 14k miles) the factory only fit the cheapest O ring chain, DID in the case of my 2015 bike. So when I had to replace I went for the best quality DID listed at the time with X rings. Nearly 11k miles and only had to slightly adjust tension twice I think.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline Bladerunner99

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 499
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
The best method to maintain a chain is a highly debated issue. I am using a dry lube based on sillicone for years now and the chains last about 30 - 40,000 kms. The main advantage of a dry lube is that the chain does not need cleaning as there is no grease to which dirt, sand etc. may cling. For the same reason the bike itself is clean whereas with normal lube you will always find bits of the grease on the frame, the swing arm, panniers etc.. I know some people say a scott oiler is necessary but if you look at bikes with one you see how much oil is on the bike. The major set back of dry lube is that you need to apply it far more often (every 500 kms) and riding through rain means you have to lube the chain after that. Unlike standard grease you can lube the chain just before you start, you would not want to do that with normal grease as the major part of the grease will be flung off the chain.

To me the advantages of the dry lube stuff outweigh the need to apply it more significantly. I put my bike on the center stand, start the engine, first gear in idle mode, spray spray, that is done in under 5 minutes.


Just sayin'

I have never come across the dry lube stuff yet but am considering using it on my CRF450 as that is used in the dirt all the time.

The  Tiger on the other hand will not be used for much off road work anymore and so I will continue with scottoil etc.  One advantage of a chain oiler system (in my opinion), is that a constant feed of oil is applied to the chain, this constant flow/drip helps to clean and also cool the chain but does have the disadvantage of the flung off oil on the back wheel and elsewhere.  That said, if you carefully set up the drips, you do not get that much of a fling off anyway.

Just sayin!  :008:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Bladerunner99

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 499
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Regardless of mileage (mine lasted 14k miles) the factory only fit the cheapest O ring chain, DID in the case of my 2015 bike. So when I had to replace I went for the best quality DID listed at the time with X rings. Nearly 11k miles and only had to slightly adjust tension twice I think.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html

Stevie, I read your post with great interest a week or so back and decided to follow your route and got the same chain, just awaiting sprockets from Blighty as no JT's available in Oz at the moment.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline KildareMan

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 9018
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi V7850
  • Location: Naas Ireland
Re: Drive Chain Replacement at 17000kms
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »
By cheap buy twice.

X ring way to go.
Moto Guzzi V7 Centenario baby!

 


Recent Topics