Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12 volt adapter - how long stay powered  (Read 381 times)

Offline hancop

• Tiger Member
12 volt adapter - how long stay powered
« on: August 20, 2021, 08:31:28 PM »
I have a tiger 900 gt pro, and have a 12 volt Ducati adapter too 2 USB ports plugged into it. One of the USB ports goes to a wireless charge pad by quad lok that my phone goes on. This wireless charge pad has a light that shows up blue when it has power to it. I take my phone off after every ride, and turn the ignition off but the blue led light on the wireless charge pad stays on, which means it is still getting power from the bikes battery and I dont want to drain the battery when not using bike. So my question is how long does it take before the bike cuts power to the 12 volt outlets after you have turned the ignition off ? Would have thought that once you turned the ignition off and removed key that all power to the 12 volt outlets would turn off.

Thanks

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
Re: 12 volt adapter - how long stay powered
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:37 PM »
If youre referring to the front Powerlet outlet by the steering head, it is live 24/7 even after everything else is off.  The one under the rear seat is switched.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:52:02 PM by coach »
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Offline hancop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
I dont think it is live all the time as I have plugged stuff into it a day or so after turning bike off and even turning ignition on and the accessories dont show charging. If I start it they do, and if then turn ignition off they still do too. I did a test and after turning the ignition off I kept checking a phone I plugged in and it showed charging for about 45 minutes then no more power to it What I dont know is that did the tiger shut off the power to the outlet or did the Ducati 12 volt adapter sh*t the power off as I believe it does have some sort of battery run down protection built into it

Thanks

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »
I can report that leaving two adapters powered up all night makes no impact on the battery. When I am making camp for the night, I plug the phone in and also plug in the camera battery charger. There have been a few occasions where fatigue and a bit of Scotch whiskey have caused a failure on my part to unhook the adapters before bedtime. The Tiger fires up in the morning just fine.

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 10:47:56 PM »

I agree.  I have this voltage meter/USB plug installed 24/7 and if I dont get to ride for a week, it doesnt effect the battery voltage.  Its reassuring to see voltage always above 12 volts, but I mainly have it for the USB charging port for my iPhone.
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 11:24:09 PM »
The issue is the adapter not the socket.
The socket is live all the time. That is why it can be used as a charging socket to charge the battery.
Some USB adapters will continually draw power even when the ignition is off and nothing is plugged into them others will not. This is a well known problem with the DC circuitry in some USB adapters it has been covered many times on this forum and elsewhere.
There have also been many posts on this forum about people who leave adapters plugged in and draining their batteries. It wont happen overnight or even over a couple of days but ultimately it will happen. The electronic circuitry in fuel injected vehicles requires a minimum battery voltage of around 11.2V. If it detects a voltage less that that it wont even try to start unlike the old days where the starter motor would continually crank slower and slower until there was nothing left.
My advice to the OP is that as you know your adapter is drawing current continually buy another USB adapter.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch