Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trickle charger/optimate  (Read 882 times)

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
Trickle charger/optimate
« on: August 21, 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
My old charger stopped working in the winter, it was a cheapie Oxford one I think I got free or on offer with a a magazine subscription years ago!

Looking at getting an optimate, but unsure which one, 3/4/5 etc.

Ive got an accessory din plug for the tiger (18 plate - tft), so does that mean I need the can-bus compatible one (4+)?
Im not sure what can-bus is exactly, other than electrics

If not Ill just get a 3 and save a few pennies, thanks all. 

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Trickle charger/optimate
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »
The CANBUS is used in a very limited way on the later Tiger 800 which is still mostly fuse based unlike the corresponding BMW motorcycles. The accessory socket is connected directly across the battery via fuse 4 and will therefore take any of the Optimate chargers. Note that the Optimate 4 is more expensive and dual program meaning that it will charge a motorcycle battery directly or via a CAN-BUs; for example, on a BMW motorcycle.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Snownorge

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 12:03:47 PM »
Not anything against optimate but have a look at Cteck chargers ,used Msx 5 on my BMW GS and the Tiger and various cars,might be a bit more expensive but had lots of features.

Offline darylb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
I purchased a noco genius 1 charger, brilliant piece of kit and cheaper than optimate. Worth a look.

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 02:20:57 AM »
Better off running thru a toggle fitted directly to the battery IMHO. C Tek are good as are all the others mentioned. Splitting hairs really.

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 06:58:24 AM »
I own 5 x Optimate 3 charges but I'm currently having to reconsider how I use them. Up to now, I've simply left my bikes connected up to one of these when not being used believing this is the best way to preserve the batteries. However,  I had a second failure of a GEL AGM battery on one of the bikes a week ago - it simply wouldn't turn over despite a fully charged battery meaning its capacity had dropped to a low level. This battery had lasted just less than 2 years which is exactly the same time the previous new battery had lasted.

In contrast, one of my other bikes was originally fitted with a non GEL AGM battery and this lasted well over 10 years without any problems. My suspicions are that the Optimate 3 does not work that well with GEL AGM batteries and is somehow damaging them over a long period. Normally, batteries die due to sulfation which happens when the battery is left discharged for some time but this shouldn't happen if its connected to an intelligent charger when not being used.

I need to look further into how my Optimate 3's might be damaging GEL AGM batteries but in the meantime I'm considering only connecting them up once a week just to bring each battery up to full charge before disconnecting the charger.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »
I too have an Optimate but only used to connect it when I went away, I ride on average once a week and find that's enough to keep the battery topped up and if I go away I disconnect the battery then it cannot discharge.
You are only jealous as the voices are speaking to me! Honda 90 Sport, Lambretta 200 GT, Honda 250 sport, then a 25 year gap, Harley Davidson 900 Sportster, Harley Davidson 1600 Fat Bob, Triumph Explorer Gen I, Triumph Explorer Gen II, Triumph 900 GT Pro.

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »
That sounds like a good approach. My problem is that, with quite a few bikes, I can't ride them often enough or them to keep their batteries topped up without some assistance - hence the (perhaps, over-) reliance on Optimates :084:

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 09:19:59 PM »
Thanks for replies all

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 09:57:51 PM »
I use Optimates on all the bikes but I use one of those simple mains-plugin  24hr/7day programmable timers and set it to go on sat&sun, and off the rest of the week. No probs.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics