Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 900 rally pro, 6000k mile / 1 year service, and the list of things to fix...  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro

Just had my 1 year old rally pro in for its first proper service, just passed 7k miles so slightly over as the run in service was done at 700 miles. Tried a new main dealer near to where i was working, got a street triple as a courtesy bike for 24 hours, fun around town, but not a motorway bike.. Anyway, here is a list of the things wrong with it..

Fork seal blown (brake pads ruined)
warped front disk
head bearing
chain and sprockets needs replacing

Not what i expected from a 1 year old bike, thought things might last a bit longer, is that just me or do consumables really have such a short life span. I won't go into how well my Aprilia Tuono lasted, but it was considerably better than this...

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
Wow what the hell? That's not promising, I'm going to see how the Edmonton dealer does on my 10k km service in September cause my 2012 was rock solid.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
It would be interesting to take the same bike to another dealer to discover if they find the same faults?
You are only jealous as the voices are speaking to me! Honda 90 Sport, Lambretta 200 GT, Honda 250 sport, then a 25 year gap, Harley Davidson 900 Sportster, Harley Davidson 1600 Fat Bob, Triumph Explorer Gen I, Triumph Explorer Gen II, Triumph 900 GT Pro.

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
I would take it back to your dealer or an independent motorbike mechanic and get a second opinion, yes I have known fork seals to blow quickly but it's usually on bikes which are rid en off road a lot.
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline Worty28

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT LRH
Do you drive a lot in dirt?

My 6000 mile service was just oil change.  everything else was good.  about to do my 20 000 km service this fall when the bike is put away.  (at 17500km right now.) and everything is still looking fine.  my chain and sprockets are showing no wear,  lots of brake pads left and not a bit of movement in the head bearing but my bike almost never sees gravel roads and never even been on dirt.  going to need a rear tire though.

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member

I've probably done 50 miles off road so that shouldn't really effect it, and there isnt really a point taking it to another garage, the issues are quite apparent and I can see/feel them myself. It's not like the dealer is taking the mick. He has managed to get Triumph to do the headbearing under warranty which is pretty good as that is the biggest job out of the lot.
 Disk i can live with until MOT and see if it passes, brake pads i'll do when the seals are done, but can I find anyone selling chain and sprocket set!? If anyone knows I'd appreciate it. DID aren't doing them on their web site, and the usual parts places dont list them....

Offline Worty28

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT LRH
*Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]

Disk i can live with until MOT and see if it passes,

So glad we don't have this in Ontario.  only have to safety when you first get the bike and we don't have to put that ugly sticker on the bike.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
*Originally Posted by Worty28 [+]
So glad we don't have this in Ontario.  only have to safety when you first get the bike and we don't have to put that ugly sticker on the bike.

Our MOTs are once a year, they check safety issues on the bike. No sticker. I'd rather know if there was anything affecting the bike that I hadn't noticed than smear myself over the landscape.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
*Originally Posted by Ben_snapper [+]

, but can I find anyone selling chain and sprocket set!? If anyone knows I'd appreciate it. DID aren't doing them on their web site, and the usual parts places dont list them....

My 3 year old  Tiger has just  had its 12,000 mile service done  and I was warned the chain and sprockets wont make it to the 18,000 mile service so your chain and sprockets should of lasted for at least 12-15,000 miles.

If you do find an outlet for a quality set please let me know.

Offline Ben_snapper

• Tiger Member

Though i'd add an update to this. Returned the bike to a dealer for head bearing doing(warranty) and fork seal(my pocket) and was informed that both fork stanchions were showing signs of pitting on the chrome and start of corrosion :156: Luckily the mechanic had spoken to Triumph about this before he told me and I lost my  :172: Triumph said they would replace them under warranty, but they only had one left stanchions in stock, but an entire right fork. so they would have to make up the left side with the current attached fork...but...they don't have any fork seals in stock and don't expect any until November/December. That was a fun chat.
 And as for replacing the chain & sprockets, JT are the only after market supplier who list the rear sprocket but they currently have a 60 to 90 day wait on the product as its bespoke to that bike, so I had to go back to my dealer and ask them to supply one. This wasn't my first option as it would appear the oem stuff is made out of Chinese steel and rubber bands and the cost of doing it is about 75 over my normal bike garage. It's normally an ordered in part, but there aren't any in stock at Triumph, but luckily my dealer had one in.
 I'm sure there is going to be more dramas before all this is sorted..might see if a can get a Bond edition as an exchange..

Recent Topics