Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone crash tested some none Triumph 900 (2020) tank protection bars yet ?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
I have the triumph upper bars but are aware of their shortcomings, has anyone actually crashtested some none Triumph upper bars yet ? (Hepco and Becker/Heed/SW Motech)

I want to replace mine with some that won't damage the tank, so interested if anyone has any actualy experience of the bike going down with alternatives.

RBW.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Stay away from Hepco and Becker.   Multiple cases of their front engine cylinder head mount bolts breaking off in the frame without a drop or impact to them.    I'm reporting this from personal experience.     Retailer and Hepco tried to blame it on installation.   They do not stand behind their product or repercussions of faulty design.

There's even one report of Outback Motortrek tank/crash bars suffering the same issue (broken bolt at the front engine cylinder head mount).

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Ride along with me on beautiful San Diego, California trails... @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
Thanks, that is helpful  :028:

I'm beginning to think the best option is to take the upper bars off, I've got barkbusters for the handlebars and can't imagine the damage is any worse from a fall onto something hard (rock) without the upper bars which seem to just fold into the tank.

RBW.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
I'll take my chances now without upper crash bars.   Considering the aftermath of some of the reports of mangled/broken beaks (due to bar mounting points), broken engine case at some bar mounting points and bars pushed into the tank from impact.   The "protection" appears to be a false sense of security overall.   Wish I'd had waited to learn more before throwing my $$$ away.  Now I've got $300+ dollars of junk metal sitting in the garage corner.      If anyone wants those bars, you can have em.   

Here's a video I created when I was dealing with retailer (Motomachines) and Hepco....before they burned me.

/>
I also posted a thread on this board of the whole long and ugly saga if you're interested.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 04:17:29 PM by flyingburrito »
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Ride along with me on beautiful San Diego, California trails... @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
I don't have upper bars on my T900 but I do have the Touratech German made lower bars mounted.  Have had a couple low speed "dirt naps" off road and they did their job admirably.  No damage to engine, tank or any of the plastics (Tupperware)...not even a scratch.  Looking at the bike on its side it's obvious without those lower bars & upgraded hand guards*, it would have been "ugly".  :005:

* Replacing the stock plastic hand guards (really just wind deflectors) with more solid metal backed guards is a must as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:14:15 PM by coach »
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
I haven't tested any, need a 900 for that, but when out for a ride on my 800 I met a Tiger 900 GT without any tank protection that had been for a slide at some point, and took quite a gauge out of the fuel tank........

My friend swears by Heed bars after a few offroad spills on his 800 XC.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
*Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]
I met a Tiger 900 GT without any tank protection that had been for a slide at some point, and took quite a gauge out of the fuel tank........

I'd call that a badge of honor.   :188:

A week after I had to remove the junk Hepco and Becker crash bars because of the broken bolts....I dropped my RP on a steep rutted incline.  Scratched my tank a bit.    Oh well... IMO,  it's an off-road bike...I'm not hangin out at Starbucks with the bike all waxed up.  :017:
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Offline learningtofly

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
I'd call that a badge of honor.   :188:

A week after I had to remove the junk Hepco and Becker crash bars because of the broken bolts....I dropped my RP on a steep rutted incline.  Scratched my tank a bit.    Oh well... IMO,  it's an off-road bike...I'm not hangin out at Starbucks with the bike all waxed up.  :017:

It's not really a badge of honour, though, is it? It's a damaged bike.

I'm interested in some bars (which I haven't ordered as an option) but they do all seem fugly. Given that I'll only ever be doing some light green laning I may just take my chances.
Tony
2021 900 GT Pro

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
I'm trying not to be too precious about my Rally Pro, but I think your looking at about a 1K repair/replace if the tank is damaged (new tank and paint/decals or repair and paint/decals). So if spending a couple of hundred wisely minimises this, then I'm all for it.  :028:

RBW.

*Originally Posted by learningtofly [+]
It's not really a badge of honour, though, is it? It's a damaged bike.

I'm interested in some bars (which I haven't ordered as an option) but they do all seem fugly. Given that I'll only ever be doing some light green laning I may just take my chances.

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member

Thanks, thats helpful, looking at the Heed website there are two options, uppers only (just one mounting point each side and under the beak) or a single upper and lower option that has two mounting points each side + under the beak.  This removes the Triumph design where the uppers attach to the lowers, and the mounting point of the uppers effectively slides on the lowers in a crash (allowing the bars to push in).  I guess the only risk is that the mounting points then will get the additional strain which could then cause more significant damage.

I am assuming that the single option will be better able to distribute any knocks without overly stressing one mounting point.  Also when I look at the Heed bars for the 800, there doesnt really seem to be any significant difference between them (which at least gives some comfort that if they work on the 800 they should work on the 900).

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/c/Tiger-900/118

RBW.

*Originally Posted by Mrski1 [+]
I haven't tested any, need a 900 for that, but when out for a ride on my 800 I met a Tiger 900 GT without any tank protection that had been for a slide at some point, and took quite a gauge out of the fuel tank........

My friend swears by Heed bars after a few offroad spills on his 800 XC.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch