Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone crash tested some none Triumph 900 (2020) tank protection bars yet ?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Mrski1

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
*Originally Posted by rainbow-walker [+]
I'm trying not to be too precious about my Rally Pro, but I think your looking at about a 1K repair/replace if the tank is damaged (new tank and paint/decals or repair and paint/decals). So if spending a couple of hundred wisely minimises this, then I'm all for it.  :028:

RBW.

The gouge out of the side of the tank was pretty bad, I'd be gutted if that was my bike, but everyone is different I suppose.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
*Originally Posted by rainbow-walker [+]
I'm trying not to be too precious about my Rally Pro, but I think your looking at about a 1K repair/replace if the tank is damaged (new tank and paint/decals or repair and paint/decals). So if spending a couple of hundred wisely minimises this, then I'm all for it.  :028:

RBW.

I get it.    ...but how much hard earned cash would need shelling out for a broken engine case mount due to drop/crash stresses caused by aftermarket bars...this has happened in the past.    or what about permanently damaged frame threads (due to broken aftermarket bolts)     What happens when those aftermarket bars bend in and dent your tank anyway?   The Triumph versions are already known to do this.

Chit happens....

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:51:36 PM by flyingburrito »
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Ride along with me on beautiful San Diego, California trails... @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
I get it.    ...

[/quote

Sorry about the drop - hope you are both ok?

What's your opinion of the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres that you have on the bike?]
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
*Originally Posted by Q [+]

Sorry about the drop - hope you are both ok?

What's your opinion of the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres that you have on the bike?

No injury to me at all...I just stepped off to the side after losing balance/momentum.  Rider error all the way.      Some scratches to the tank.   Barkbusters took the brunt...they bent in a bit....but held their ground well.    I got cocky and tried jumping over the rut...made it, got squirrely and lost momentum.

I've been very happy with the Trailmax tires.  They're worlds better than what came on the bike.    Good in the dry dirt, hard pack and loose rocks...much of what we see here in San Diego.  (check out my videos in my sig for conditions/rides here in SD)    The front will still wash in silk/sand....but that is more likely due to the high/front weight of a big ADV bike.   The are still skatey on thin loose gravel over hard pack....but even the guys I ride with who have more knobby type tires ride "tenderly" on that kind of surface
I have no experience with them in deep sand or mud....but I suspect they would not be good at all in those scenarios.

I hear very good things about Motoz RALLZ tires from someone using them that  I trust very much....but don't know of anyone who's put them on a Tiger yet.

Back to the topic of bars....  Just saw this on another board.    The stock RP lower engine guard caused a total write off of the bike.    I'm going to maintain that crash bars provide a false sense of security....     

Quoted the jist of what happened here:  "So my bike was written off and I was paid out after it slipped at approx 40-50km/h onto the RHS on a slippery bit of dirt road and the RHS engine protection bar (not the bar, the flat metal bit that bolts to the case), bent inwards and its corner pierced the corner of the engine block. By the time I got back home, my boot was covered in engine oil and it was a write-off. Not how I envisaged the OEM (bars come std with RallyPro) to protect the bike. There was very little other damage.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:28:55 PM by flyingburrito »
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Ride along with me on beautiful San Diego, California trails... @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
Glad to hear that you both survived the oops 😂 - with dirt it's not a question of if, it's simply a question of when (but that's why we bought the kit in the first place)

Tks for your comment on the Dunlops - always nice to have a fellow rider's view as opposed to some marketing BS. Have close on 10k kms on mine now with about 40% hardpacked dirt and then some seriously stupid stuff where I shouldn't have been in the first place if I had half a brain.

The Dunlops held up very well even in deep sand where they've managed to dig me out from a dead start in second with feet on the pegs.  The rear is however a bit squirrely in the wet - think the hard single compound is the problem but then it was always gonna be a trade-off with longevity.

Will probably fit another set if the AX41's are not available - want to give those a try. Also heard good reports on the Motoz and they seem to be going all out to mix and match fronts and rears witin the same range.

Finally, toying with the idea of fitting aluminium bolts where the crash bars mount to the actual engine casing with the idea that they would shear in a serious impact as opposed to ripping the engine case apart. But that kinda defeats the object of the exercise doesn't it. Whoever designed those mounting points should go and ask for his money back from college because they taught him shite.
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
Forgot about the Dunlops' mud performance - sucks - in spite of the decent grooves it doesn' t clean  no matter how stupid I got with it.

Together with my comment on wet weather performance, definitely not a tyre for English green lanes or anything with any substantial gorilla snot on it

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
Glad to hear that you both survived the oops 😂 - with dirt it's not a question of if, it's simply a question of when (but that's why we bought the kit in the first place)

Ain't that the truth.   But this is why I bought the bike.  It's a shame all the riders out there who won't venture into the dirt....even the simple stuff.

Good to  hear about the sand performance....that's promising.     What little sand I have hit...the front likes to hunt....but then I probably wasn't aired down enough for that.

Forgot about the Dunlops' mud performance - sucks - in spite of the decent grooves it doesn' t clean  no matter how stupid I got with it.

Together with my comment on wet weather performance, definitely not a tyre for English green lanes or anything with any substantial gorilla snot on it
   About what I expected for mud.
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Recent Topics