Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tiger 800 xrx clicking sound  (Read 614 times)

Offline Marios73

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 XRX
tiger 800 xrx clicking sound
« on: September 02, 2021, 09:19:32 AM »
Hello to everybody,

Tiger 800xrx
just wanted to ask if anyone has noticed a small clicking sound ( like metal touching) when rev-matching (between gear change) or even on neutral. 

Thank you

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: tiger 800 xrx clicking sound
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
Could be anything to be fair but I would tend towards cam-chain tensioner.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Marios73

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
yes my thought also, but this ticking is once off ( only one tick) and only when the revs are comming down

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
Sometimes we can all get sensitive to a sound. Single click I wouldn't worry about it.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Marios73

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »
yes indeed , sometimes it can happen! :002:

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Marios73 [+]
yes my thought also, but this ticking is once off ( only one tick) and only when the revs are comming down
When accelerating, the force from the crankshaft acts through the front run of the cam chain to rotate the cam shafts. Without the tensioner,  this would result in the rear run of the cam chain being very loose causing it to flap around. Obviously the tensioner stops this from happening.

However, when the engine is decelerating, the opposite is likely to happen with the rear run of the cam chain then being put under tension. This in turn is likely to generate quite a bit of force acting against the tensioner and it might be this that is generating the noise that can be heard. Under these circumstances, the tensioner piston might be being pushed inwards against the resistor spring and the ratchet mechanism.

It's likely, the tensioner is working properly and the noise being generated while slightly irritating is nothing to worry about :084:

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »
I always put my ear plugs in before I start the Tiger, never have any problems with strange noises  :001: :001: :001:

Offline Marios73

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 09:58:54 AM »
thank you all for your answers! it seems that it starts to act when hot , i am also thinking about the rectifier since the sound is coming from the upper front end .....i will give it some time

Offline Marios73

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 10:01:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
When accelerating, the force from the crankshaft acts through the front run of the cam chain to rotate the cam shafts. Without the tensioner,  this would result in the rear run of the cam chain being very loose causing it to flap around. Obviously the tensioner stops this from happening.

However, when the engine is decelerating, the opposite is likely to happen with the rear run of the cam chain then being put under tension. This in turn is likely to generate quite a bit of force acting against the tensioner and it might be this that is generating the noise that can be heard. Under these circumstances, the tensioner piston might be being pushed inwards against the resistor spring and the ratchet mechanism.

It's likely, the tensioner is working properly and the noise being generated while slightly irritating is nothing to worry about :084:
yes very interesting theory!!

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 01:48:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
I always put my ear plugs in before I start the Tiger, never have any problems with strange noises

You are better organized than me. I usually remember to put mine in after I put my helmet on.  :001:

Recent Topics