Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel e10  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: Tiger800 XJR1300
Re: Fuel e10
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 09:09:51 AM »
Thanks for the ESSO link will check it out. I know when I live in Huddersfield my local ESSO told me they were E5. I use the ESSO station at Elgin all the time  :001:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:13:56 AM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Online Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
Interesting study here about water in petrol. Apparently, ethanol is hygroscopic (absorbs water) whereas petrol is hydrophobic (repels water). So, any water in E0 fuel just sinks to bottom of the tank (with potential corrosion issues) whereas E10 holds the water in solution so that it passes harmlessly through the engine.

Of course, thats only part of the problem because E10 tends to absorb water from the air so is likely to contain more water than E0 as time passes. There is also a concentration level of water in E10 where it will eventually separate out and sink to the bottom of the tank as well.

In conclusion, it seems that using E10 will be fine as long as its not left in the tank for long periods where it will continue to absorb water until it reaches the saturation level at which point it will start to separate out. Personally, I will continue to use E10 but endeavour to get a full tank of premium fuel for my last rideout before using the bike less during the winter. Any winter rideouts will also use premium fuel because they are likely to be less frequent.

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/documents/Ethanol%20and%20Water%20Contamination%2009052014.pdf
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:43:04 AM by Fazer »

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
yes been doing a bit of reading up on the E10 over the last 18 months. basically 10% ethanol will pull its same volume in water out of the air. So if left in the tank for a long time you could end up with 10% water in your tank which is not good at all , as that is what you will first pull though you system. But apart from that You will start to see more and more fuel tanks start to rust inside. I see it from time to time in the bikes I strip if they have been standing for some time in cool places with half tanks of fuel in them. go to youtube and put this in "Ethanol in fuel - what does E10 mean for you" it is a basic talk on the E10 for anyone that has not read up on it.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2021, 05:51:50 PM »
I've been around for a long time and motorcycles have had rusty gas tanks 'for ever'.
I first used ethanol laced gasoline in 1982 when riding through a corn producing state (Iowa) that lobbied hard for the issue. I needed gas and the pump said the gas contained alcohol and I thought I'd better try it and find out.
Nothing happened (or changed) and I've used ethanol gasoline in every vehicle with a gas engine since, continuously, and nothing untoward has happened.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline coach

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
Im a bit confused about your ethanol gas situation in the UK/Europe as you say your regular is E10 and premium is E5???  I just filled up yesterday here in Northern New Hampshire with our non-ethanol gas (from Qubec) and asked the mechanic about this.  He said our non-ethanol gas really is E-zero.  Its mostly sold to people fueling snowmobiles, lawnmowers/chain saws or older outboard boat motors, although I do see a lot of other riders filling their motorcycles with it.
coach - 2021 Tiger 900 GT

2016 Tiger 800 XCx - 2012 R1200GS - 2007 1050 Tiger & 2010 1050 Tiger-SE then 2011 T800 "Roadie" (All sold) :161:
Plus over a dozen other bikes that I loose track of but my wife constantly reminds me of. :006:
North Conway, New Hampshire :300:

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 04:54:46 PM »
In the UK, petrol stations will sell two choices of petrol where possible; the norm will be E10 but anything else with up to 5% ethanol will be labelled E5 and will be sold at a premium. Confusingly, the ESSO version of this petrol will actually be E0 but they have to label it E5.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »
ESSO E0 is only down south

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »
Copied below from a oldish post over on the Ducati Monster site that i look in on.  Interesting perspective and completely in line with what you would expect in today's corporate world of deliberate head-in-the-sand, box ticking policy.  Also hearing of lots of problems with bikes that are not run often, with the moisture that ethanol absorbs causing rust problems in metal tanks as well as swelling of plastic tanks.
Bioethanol fuel is a bit of an ecological disaster. It is supposed to reduce the emissions but as a fuel, it is less efficient by about 3 to 5% depending on whose figures you believe.
Most of the ecology preserving organisations ( Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace) are against it.
The easiest and cheapest method of making it is to grow corn/maize and ferment the crop. Previously this crop would have been used to feed humans or animals. The requirement for a % of ethanol in fuel pushed up prices of corn/maize and caused unsuitable land to be converted to growing it. People iin third-world countries are worse off because their staple foods and animal feed are more expensive and there has been a knock-on effect on prices for meat where those animals were fed on the crop.
The amount of corn required to make just 25 gallons of "fuel" would feed a person for a year.
This is a classic case of governments meddling in the technical aspects of a problem without considering all the possible perverse outcomes when it should be prescribing the outcome it and its citizens want.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:56:41 PM by Phil_from_Derry »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
ESSO E0 is only down south

Not available in quite a few areas. Go down to the Synergy Sopreme+ 99 paragraph.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phil_from_Derry [+]
... The requirement for a % of ethanol in fuel pushed up prices of corn/maize and caused unsuitable land to be converted to growing it.

:084: ... and possibly, like palm oil, motivated more destructive deforestation to create more growing land for these crops. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch