Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Notchy gears since oil change  (Read 1475 times)

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
Notchy gears since oil change
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »
Changed oil and filter on the 2011 800 last month, haven't ridden it much since then but have been out on it the last few days and I'll swear it's a bit more notchy than before.
Bit of a pig to find neutral from 2nd, keeps going through to 1st then through to 2nd from 1st, and generally just not as smooth. Also seems a bit more loose. It's fine when moving it's basically when at a standstill or coming to a stop and taking off. Can't recall what oil I put in but it was top notch stuff, expensive, fully synthetic.  Think it was Silkolene.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:21:41 PM by mikegml »

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Notchy gears since oil change
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
I would be more inclined to suspect the chain when gear changes get notchy .... incorrect tension, tight spot, a siezed link, etc. and the oil change is coincidental.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:59:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I would be more inclined to suspect the chain when gear changes get notchy .... incorrect tension, tight spot, a siezed link, etc. and the oil change is coincidental.  :027:

Nope. chain spot on, nowt to do with chain. As stated, only noticable at standstill, at lights, etc. great when moving.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:03:23 PM by mikegml »

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 10:05:05 PM »
I've had problems with my other bike after an oil change which resulted in slight clutch drag making it difficult to find neutral. Irt would be interesting to know what the new oil was?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I've had problems with my other bike after an oil change which resulted in slight clutch drag making it difficult to find neutral. Irt would be interesting to know what the new oil was?

As stated it was fully synthetic, I'm pretty certain now it was silkolene.  I don't want to exaggerate this problem, it's not 'really bad' but def' not as good as it was.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:23:12 PM by mikegml »

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 10:42:16 PM »
Oil does make a difference. I always found that Suzukis changed much smoother with Motul oil in the engine as opposed to others brands.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by mikegml [+]
As stated it was fully synthetic, I'm pretty certain now it was silkolene.  I don't want to exaggerate this problem, it's not 'really bad' but def' not as good as it was.

Likely plates dried off through lack of use.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Likely plates dried off through lack of use.

You gotta be joking.  Plates dried off after just a few weeks not used?  The forums would be full of riders with dried off plates if that was the case. I've not used the bike for months over winter and had no problem. It started just after the oil change.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikegml [+]
You gotta be joking.  Plates dried off after just a few weeks not used?  The forums would be full of riders with dried off plates if that was the case. I've not used the bike for months over winter and had no problem. It started just after the oil change.

You're the expert, why you here with your problems.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
You're the expert, why you here with your problems.

I'm not being stroppy with you mate. I think it's such an unlikely explanation. How would the plates dry out?  Even if the bike was standing for months with no oil in at all it's unlikely. It was old oil out new oil in.  And a new set of clutch plates would be dry when fitted, can't get much drier than that.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch