Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Notchy gears since oil change  (Read 1476 times)

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Notchy gears since oil change
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikegml [+]
You gotta be joking.  Plates dried off after just a few weeks not used?  The forums would be full of riders with dried off plates if that was the case. I've not used the bike for months over winter and had no problem. It started just after the oil change.
Everyone on the forum is entitled to express an opinion without being criticized. Mutual respect is a feature of this forum. Your reaction doesn't pass muster mikegml.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:50:23 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 12:02:23 AM »
Plus 1 with Chuckxc.

Fwiw, I also agree with K1W1.

I have tried half a dozen oils in my Bandit and the smoothness of gear change and going to neutral is very noticeable between oils. I once used a high end Castrol and when I got home from work the next day I dumped it.

So its not about the quality of the Oil persay coz they are all pretty good but I suspect its about the various components and additives, your environment and temps ... etc etc. The Bandit loves Zinc in the oil.

Having used Mobil 1 for the majority of my early Bandit ownership there was a period when they seemed to change the Formula and Bandit Owners around the World went crazy. The Tech gurus even challenged Mobil, we believe there was a court case against another Manufacturer on what constituted 'true synthetic oils' ...because we think the changed the Formula as it had been the go to Oil. I have settled on a Shell Product of all things and just love it to death.

Having said that I am now using Penrite HPR Full Synthetic in the Tiger because it tended to use oil with the standard recommendations and we can get lots of hot weather and its a big country.

Bottom line, Imho, there are no silly answers with oil as they seem to vary so much in different bikes and likley with your riding conditions, how long you ride for, the type of riding ......best weights for the time of year.... When you are happy with a brand - stick to it. If it was me I would dump it and go back to your regular..... or see what the Dealers or your mates use maybe and do a comparison.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 12:05:05 AM »
The reason I find this forum worthwhile is because: " Mutual respect is a feature of this forum". 

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:42 AM »
Just thought I'd add my own experience here. I once changed oil to Repsol 10W 40 synthetic (the only thing I could get at the time whislt travelling in Ecuador). My gearchange became quite stiff after the change. As soon as I could I changed back to my usual Motul synthetic and the normal slick gearchange was restored.

https://www.tiger800rtw.com/tiger-800xc-maintenance/
Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »
Changed oil and filter on the 2011 800 last month, haven't ridden it much since then but have been out on it the last few days and I'll swear it's a bit more notchy than before.
It's fine when moving it's basically when at a standstill or coming to a stop and taking off.
...it was top notch stuff, expensive, fully synthetic.  Think it was Silkolene.
How would the plates dry out? It was old oil out new oil in. 
And a new set of clutch plates would be dry when fitted, can't get much drier than that.
Motor oil can affect clutch operation -- and, therefor, shifting. That's what the JASO MA/MA2 spec on the oil container is all about. Without that certification it's unknown how the oil will perform with clutch friction discs.
New clutch plates are soaked in oil before fitting (at least replacements are...).
Two possible remedies: Run the engine for a while on the stand with the clutch lever tied to the handlebar (or, at least leave it parked for a while with clutch plates released) in order to allow more oil into the clutch basket.
Or, try a different brand/type motor oil (JASO, of course).
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 11:28:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
New clutch plates are soaked in oil before fitting (at least replacements are...).
Two possible remedies: Run the engine for a while on the stand with the clutch lever tied to the handlebar (or, at least leave it parked for a while with clutch plates released) in order to allow more oil into the clutch basket.

I have never had an issue with a Tiger or a Japanese bike but the Ducati definitely needs a minute or two with the clutch lever held in prior to selecting first after it has been sitting for a week or so. If not just grabbing the clutch and selecting first is like not bothering with the clutch at all.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
I find with my Bandit that the first gear selection is a bit harsh..... particularly after a Covid hibernation.
Because I am on a hill and idle is still high I start to roll it a bit when I hit first.
Then go down the street in first while it warms up of idle / choke. Not so much in Summer but more so in cold weather.

By the second or third change its still a bit notchy but clutch feel / holding in gear is fine.

Tiger is pretty much ready first up but does like a few changes / warming before it gets smooth.

Most bikes have their mannerisms. If its not good after warm up, then changing oil is a cheap test.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch