Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rectifier Questions .. Oil Filled & needs to be mounted Plugs up?  (Read 643 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Rectifier Questions .. Oil Filled & needs to be mounted Plugs up?
« on: September 07, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
Using my Isolation time to pull the Tiger apart and do lots of little mods and clean ups.

Read along the way that the Rectifiers can get really hot. Obviously not in a good spot with Pipes, behind the radiator etc.
So pulled it out to mount it in a cooler spot. FH020AA. The Google machine says heat is its biggest enemy.

One plug has oil in the base of the mount which suggests that the Rectifier is oil filled??  and needs the plugs mounted on the top and not mounted sideways or upside down ?

Presuming that's a YES..... is there an issue having traces of oil in the plug base or can I just clean it out and continue.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Rectifier Questions .. Oil Filled & needs to be mounted Plugs up?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »
Its the regulator part of the RR that gets hot because it has to dissipate the excess energy from the generator that the bike doesn't need. It is effectively connected thermally to the external heatsink body. Max rated temperature for commercial electronic components is 70 deg C and, if they get much hotter than this, they will fail prematurely. The cooler you can make the RR run, the longer it will last.

From a thermal engineering point of view, there would be nothing to be gained from filling them with oil. That said, people have reported oil dripping from them. Consensus seems to be that it might be melting packing grease or engine oil that that has seeped along the wiring harness to the RR.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »
These R/R's do not have oil in them. What you have found must have come externally or it might be residue from a dielectric grease that was put there to keep out moisture within the connector body.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »
Thanks Guys. Most appreciated.

I was going to apply dialectic grease myself after cleaning it up. When I remount it I have more options now and will try to do connection plugs facing down.

The only challenge now will be unwinding some of the loom to gain some slack on the Pos & Neg wires.

From a guy who has only ridden Dirt Bikes and has an old Suzuki Bandit there is a mass of wires and switches under there!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:17:01 AM »
The RR works hardest at higher engine revs because that is when the maximum excess energy from the generator needs to be dumped into its heat sink. In general, the higher the sustained revs from the engine, the faster the bike will be going and the greater will be the amount of cooling air flowing over the heat sink to keep it cool.

I haven't looked at my XCA closely but looking at the pictures in the Haynes manual, the RR looks to be reasonably well located to get good air flow over the top of the radiator. I may be wrong but I wasn't aware that there was a particular problem with RR failing on a Tiger 800. Therefore, this may be a case of going to a lot of trouble to solve a problem that doesn't exist although improving the air flow over the RR wont doing any harm :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Agree with awjdthumper, robust, in a good location, not likely to fail. Might be a lot of hassle for not much gain

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
Fair call, but I have read about R replacement in a number of threads and its about doing everything that I can in preparation for my Cape Trip next year.

So I am thinking lots of heat, sand, slow riding and the odd obstacle.

So just progressively working through everything whilst I cant do anything else..... but it was a fair challenge to get it out of its cubby hole! Btw, it has created a nice little spot for a good air horn if I go down that track.

Even pulled the starter motor apart yesterday because I have everything stripped out. Btw it was really good but I only have 30k and its a 2016.

Checking Valve clearances tomorrow ...

Pic for you all.

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
If you pulled the starter motor apart you have an opportune chance to give it a real good clean with solvent and air hose to remove all the built up carbon dust. Cleaning now will pay dividends in extending the usable life of the motor as the brushes wear. It's the built up carbon dust that causes the poor performance and possible failure. It's also good practice in replacing brushes which you may have to do in future.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »
Yep, been watching those posts too. Shame a dodgy but critical part like a SM is so b'expensive. Mine must have been the start of the upgrade? So working on the theory that keeping it clean is going to pay off in the long run.

Only needed a bit of very fine paper to take the stain of the comm.

Brushes look great, cleaned the grooves, hit the body with the comp air and cleaned it down with circuit cleaner spray.

Even tested with test clips on the Battery  :152:  in the vice of course

One of the few times smaller hands has advantages.

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
 :028: good cleaning job.

Recent Topics