Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 850 Sport tank "Reserve" volume?  (Read 545 times)

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 850 Sport
850 Sport tank "Reserve" volume?
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
I couldn't seem to find an official figure so I'm wondering how many litres are actually left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on? To me, it seems about 5 litres but the indicated range seems to vary considerably. For me, the light is on when two bars remain on the gauge and I can't seem to get more than 15 litres in. So the "reserve" seems generous. Anyone put this to the test or got caught out?

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: 850 Sport tank "Reserve" volume?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
I think mine normally comes on when there's about 5L left in the tank - however, this doesn't necessarily mean that all 5Ls is usable :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:46:11 PM »
at least on my bike the yellow light and the fuel range are very pessimistic. Yesterday the range was zero when I got to the petrol station. I filled 17.5 liter in a 19.5 liter tank.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 10:15:55 PM »
My 900 fuel light comes on (I think) with 50 miles to go.
I ran (unintentionally) the range to zero, then 10 more miles to the nearest station. Even then it only took 19 of the 20 litre fuel capacity.
Not something I want to test again though.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 11:28:22 PM »
Typically on Tigers the low fuel light comes on with 100km / 60 miles of estimated range left but the amount of fuel in the tank at that point will vary depending on whether the bike is going downhill or uphill or is on the flat. Going downhill the light will come on a lot sooner as the fuel level over the sensor at the rear of the tank is lower. Likewise going uphill means there will be a lot less fuel in the tank when the light comes on as the fuel remaining has moved to the rear of the tank.
The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel surrounding it so typically these days the range to empty estimates are very conservative to ensure that the fuel pump is not regularly exposed to conditions where it is running hot due to lack of fuel surrounding it. For the sake of long term reliability is is not a good idea to run any bike to the point where the fuel tank is empty or nearly empty of fuel.

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 09:42:50 AM »
Interesting point on the fuel pump. It seems from the replies then that the light is coming on when there is still maybe 1/4 tank left. While I've no desire to run down to mere fumes it probably does mean I can stretch out the refuel visits a little. So tank is 1/4 full not 3/4 empty.... :007:

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
The refill fuel reminder light is not based on mileage or range. its based on how much fuel is in the tank. which is around 4.5 to 5 litres.

That is translated into range based on the recorded mileage against fuel consumption. I don't know how its calcualted but Id bet its using some form of adaptive (exponential) smoothing calculating forecast range based on how you have riddent the bike recently.

So its not 50 'miles' reserve by x.y units of fuel remaining which at current consumption is x miles/km/whatever. The poitn to b ear inmind is if you are riding smoothly wiht not many throttle adjustments in, say open country, if you hit an urban area where fuel consumption  drops so till will your range.

For me treratr the light as a warning ... get fuel sometime soon. Besides whicvh after drainign a full tank these days I NEED to stop to dewater  :492:
#

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
I've had the light come on and then the range calc go up if I come onto a "steadier/slower" section of road.
Even going close to 0 miles, I've never got more that 17.5L in.. but then again I always fuel on the side stand.

Offline TheRealGoldfish

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
Yep, I refuel on the sidestand up the lip of the filler. Can't believe that popping it on the mainstand would allow an extra 2.5 litres in though. Maybe I'll try next time. I'll also stand straight at the bar too, should be able to fit more beer in.... :031:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch