Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: front wheel "jumping" on bad roads  (Read 642 times)

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
front wheel "jumping" on bad roads
« on: September 11, 2021, 05:51:51 PM »
Hi there,

it started a couple of weeks ago: my 2013 Tiger roadie gives me trouble from the front wheel, on bad roads I feel every road bump quite strong, it's much better on better roads like a motorway and and on higher speeds.

I had the front fork springs swapped for Wilbers progressive springs years ago and was always quite happy with it. Now - I am in France at the moment in Alsace and the Vosges - it is sometimes quite hard to keep the bike on the road.

someone in the group I am riding with at the moment suggest a worn wheel bearing but from what I now if that bearing is shot it's worse with higher speeds which is not happening in my case.

Any ideas?

Fork seems to be ok no oil leaking etc.

I get the bike to my trusted mechanic next week but as they say the suspense is killing me.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: front wheel "jumping" on bad roads
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
Early T800 Roadies were known to have too much compression damping in the front forks. One of the easiest remedies was to change the fork oil to lighter/lower viscosity fork oil.
I ended-up (after several changes) with the lowest viscosity I could find and have nice plush front suspension and no negative results.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »
Well I know that factory wise the front fork of Gen. 1 Tigers were overdamped that's the reason I had the springs and the oil changed in 2013 and that improved the ride significantly.

But how come it's bad now after all these years?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 06:26:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
Gen. 1 Tigers were overdamped that's the reason I had the springs and the oil changed in 2013 and that improved the ride significantly.
But how come it's bad now after all these years?
Well, I'm no suspension expert -- but, changing the front springs wouldn't have had much effect on the damping problem -- other than (softer springs) making it worse, if anything.
Changing the fork oil may've helped, depending on quantity / quality / etc.?
And, perhaps you've finally discovered a road surface your previous set-up just could not handle?
Also, oils / lubricants (like everything else) oxidize -- get older / used / worn. When oils oxidize they get thicker / more viscous -- maybe a fork oil change will help solve your problem?
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
Yep you got a point, I let them check the wheel bearing if that is all right change of fork oil. If that doesn't help I am clueless

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 09:58:12 PM »
IME, worn/bad wheel bearings can cause the wheel to wobble and can often be fairly easily detected by rotating the wheel (when off the ground) by feel, sight, and sound.
As to a front suspension issue: you may want to check the front springs sag -- both static and loaded?
Springs are manufactured with a certain amount of energy infused within the steel and, over time & use, some energy can be lost.
Often termed "sacking" -- time, use, weight load, etc. all can affect spring energy loss.
If your springs have "sacked" over time then the softer springs may tend to make the damping feel even stiffer/harsher.
WSC

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 01:06:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
IME, worn/bad wheel bearings can cause the wheel to wobble and can often be fairly easily detected by rotating the wheel (when off the ground) by feel, sight, and sound.

Get the front wheel off the ground and have somebody hold the steering one way or the other against the steering lock and grab the front wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and wobble it side to side. If you can feel movement the bearings are shot.
Check the steering head bearing while you are at it. Front wheel in the air pull the wheel forward to see if there is movement and rotate the handlebars side to side to feel for anything other that smooth rotation.
You should also just check to make sure that the axle is correctly tightened. Who knows maybe one of the bolts might have come a little undone.
The only other thing I can think of is maybe one of the fork damping valves has failed, got blocked with a small piece of something or similar. If it was my bike I think I would be assuming that I would be up for a front end rebuild the only real question would be working out exactly what was required and that could involve somebody taking the forks apart.

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
Hi Derchef, i had Wilbers springs put in my 2012 Roadie forks and a Wilbers shock made to suit. They also drilled an extra hole to allow more oil to flow. This cured the front end. MCT Suspension, Stowmarket, England.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 10:23:09 AM »
Thanks for your replies, bike is booked for the garage end of the week. After what you have said I do not think the bearing is the culprit. On good roads the problem is not that big. The whole front dampening setup feels very hard, so either the springs are shot, the oil gone bad or something else is wrong there.

I'll keep it posted

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »
Derchef1962 ,

I had a 2013 Roadie as my first Tiger, and found exactly the same as you, "very harsh" front end..

I tried progressive springs to start but as mentioned this did not help with the damping, eventually I fitted new internals for the early 800's and this transformed the bike, I later also fitted a rear shock and again much better handling as all was now tailored to my weight and riding style, well worth the money in the long run.
Oh and the same rear shock went onto my next tiger , an XRX 3rd Gen tiger, fitted straight on, and I got half the money back for the shock when I sold the Tiger 800..
All good...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch