Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: front wheel "jumping" on bad roads  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: front wheel "jumping" on bad roads
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »
Guys, thanks for your interesting replies but...

may I remind you that until 2 or 3 months ago I was quite happy with the front fork equipped with Wilbers progressive springs and lighter fork oil. It wasn't perfect but fairly allright for me.

Only within the last two or three months I have noticed that "jumping" and the feeling there is no dampening at all from the front sometimes.

In other words: if it was ok for the last 87,000 kms what has f*cked up now to give me trouble?

The wheel bearing is a suspect but from what I have read if that is shot the wobbeling gets worse at higher speeds which it doesn't in my case. It is really worst going downhill at 70 or 80 kmph trying to slow down. The bike is like a kangaroo then especially when the road is bad.

Springs finally gave in? possible but not very likely... Oil gone to thick, that would explain the behaviour but is that likely...

oh well the suspense is still killing me.

I promised that Tiger that we stay together till death does part us... but if it keeps on like this it gets the coupe de grace sooner or later..
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline fac191

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 07:19:26 PM »
Has the fork oil been refreshed ?

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 09:11:09 PM »
Sometimes loose or worn heads stem bearings can give the feeling of worn shocks.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:14:34 PM »
well I come back to you all as I personally hate threads where someone posts technical problems and everyone tries to find a solution and then the thread is dead as the op stops posting.

Apparently the problem was caused by a worn tyre or that's at least what the garage guys say. Quite a surprise to me as this is the first time this happens to me after several PR 5 trail tyres. Wheel bearing, the wheel itself and the head stem bearing seem to be ok.

I'll pick up the bike tomorrow and will test it next week as I am off to Northern Germany by car on the weekend.
I'll keep you posted.

Funny side story: over here a 100/90 front tyre is in the papers, no PR 5 trail available in that dimension. Over years it was accepted by the authorities over here to put on aPR 5 or 4 with 110/80 as Michelin said in his documentatio that this perfectly allright for the bike. But no, since beginning of this year the almighty German TV says: f*ck what Michelin says they know nothing about tyres (of course and why should they, they are only making the tyres and why should the manufacturer have any idea about what he produces) you either use the tyre in the papers (and I the almighty TV don't give a f*ck that there almost no 100/90 tyres on the market) or you get the specific tyre you want on your bike approved by our experts (the ones testing bikes on the backyard with a 50 quid helmet and have no idea how to ride the bike) and you take that approval to the competent government authority and get it printed in the papers. Hey stop complaining about the 50 Euros this is going to cost you it's all about your safety and of course this is due to European law

to quote a famous German painter from the early 30s of the last century: I cannot eat enough to throw up as often as I want to.

In general I have my doubts whether that Brexit thing was as very good idea, especially that now we have to deal with the froggies on our own without you British, but things like force me to re-thing that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:31:52 PM by Derchef1962 »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 12:47:24 AM »
Gexit wouldn't help you, TUV is German not an EU body.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 07:14:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Gexit wouldn't help you, TUV is German not an EU body.

oh yes and they are 180% German absoulutely no sense of humour...

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 07:49:35 AM »
I had something similar many years ago, the tyre had gone out of round. Had it rebalanced couple of times before I found the cause.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
About 110/80 T900 tyres, I asked the dealer to fit  PR5 tyres to my new T900 for collection, no problem they said. Then I get a call to say Triumph have not OK'd the fitting of 110/80 tyres on this model, having previously OK'd them for the T800.

So I got them to fit the Metzler 01's (100/90 front and appropriate back). AND I was/am delighted with these fitted, now on my second pair and will continue to use them, very confidence inspiring wet and dry..

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 01:23:39 PM »
Michelin does not list the Tiger 900 at all...

funny that.

Back to the OP: new tyre, problem still there. They'll have a got at the fork next week.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 04:52:35 AM »
Right, after having taking apart the front fork 4 times it does not get any better, the fork is shot.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Tiger 900 GT pro this week.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch