Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New ECU Advice  (Read 9838 times)

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger800XC
New ECU Advice
« on: September 12, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
Looking for some advice. My tiger has been diagnosed with an ECU fault, the garage have said I need a new ECU, ignition set and speedo.

I can either get a new ECU / Igntion but I dont see any ECU / Igntion / Speedo sets.

My question is, why would I need a new speedo? Is it tied to the ECU like the igntion electronically or is it all attached as part of the harness.

Thanks in advance

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: New ECU Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »
My understanding is that the ECM uses a wheel speed sensor input possibly via the ABS module to determine road speed and passes this information to the instrument panel for display. There isn't a separate speedo as such. My understanding is also that the ECM includes the CDI functionality that generates the spark energy that is then sent to the coils and spark plugs. I'm assuming that by 'ignition set' they mean coils?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
First questions are who diagnosed the need for a new ECU etc and for what reason?

I can imagine why you would need to replace the instruments (speedo) just because the ECU is changed. The ignition replacement most likely relates to the ignition switch. Again, without knowing how or why they arrived at these conclusions it's difficult to say more.

BTW, only a dealer can pair replacement systems together.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:52:32 PM by T800XC »

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:42:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
First questions are who diagnosed the need for a new ECU etc and for what reason?

I can imagine why you would need to replace the instruments (speedo) just because the ECU is changed. The ignition replacement most likely relates to the ignition switch. Again, without knowing how or why they arrived at these conclusions it's difficult to say more.

BTW, only a dealer can pair replacement systems together.

My local garage has diagnosed the ECU issue, my igntion fuse (and sometime the main fuse keep popping) so no lights at all on the dash. I broke down on the m6 on my way back from my nc500 trip. They have said I need to replace the ECU, Igntion set (because the keys are coded to the ECU) and the speedo because apparently the ECU, Igntion key and the speedo are all coded together

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
My understanding is that the ECM uses a wheel speed sensor input possibly via the ABS module to determine road speed and passes this information to the instrument panel for display. There isn't a separate speedo as such. My understanding is also that the ECM includes the CDI functionality that generates the spark energy that is then sent to the coils and spark plugs. I'm assuming that by 'ignition set' they mean coils?

Theyve said that the igntion keys (rather than coild) are coded to the ECU so I have to replace them too, and its the same with the speedo.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
My understanding is that the ECM uses a wheel speed sensor input possibly via the ABS module to determine road speed ...

Though not showing a year against his username bike details I think (from his 1st posts here) this may be a 2011 'Gen !' model where the speedo was driven off the gearbox output shaft? :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 07:38:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Though not showing a year against his username bike details I think (from his 1st posts here) this may be a 2011 'Gen !' model where the speedo was driven off the gearbox output shaft? :027:

Hi, yes its a 2011 XC. It doesnt have ABS

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi V7850
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by MegaChops [+]
Hi, yes its a 2011 XC. It doesnt have ABS

So yes speed from sensor on gearbox output shaft.
Moto Guzzi V7 Centenario baby!

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
So yes speed from sensor on gearbox output shaft.

Does that mean the Speedo is not paired / matched with the ECU and I wont have to replace / recode that too?

Thanks

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 09:22:51 PM »
Sorry there's a typo in my post above. "can imagine" should be "can't imagine".

In other words, the instruments are not paired with the ECU.

Based on the very limited information available so far, I don't think your ECU is at fault, and even if it is, you don't need to replace the ignition set with it if you get a dealer to pair the old keys with the replacement ECU.

I have a hunch that the fault is with your instruments as there was a similar sounding fault in the last couple of years where an internal power diode went bad and kept blowing fuses. I replaced the diode for the owner and all was good again. This fault can easily be checked by unplugging the instruments, replacing the fuses, reconnecting the battery and trying the ignition once again.

I'll find the forum link to this previous case and post it here.

I don't recall faulty ECUs being a known issue with these bikes.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Recent Topics