Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New ECU Advice  (Read 10483 times)

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: New ECU Advice
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2021, 09:05:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
MegaChjops. I think we've considered everything electronic/electrical we can think of to try to solve the problem. However, your Tiger 800 is a non-ABS model and I am wondering whether the ECU needs to be configured for this since the same ECU was used for both the ABS and non-ABS models. At the very least, it might be worth asking the Triumph dealer about it.

Certainly worth checking and can be done online using the VIN.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger800XC
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Certainly worth checking and can be done online using the VIN.

Ive tried checking online and I cant see to do it, the VIN on the ECU is "SMTTRE11B8B485933" i think

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by MegaChops [+]
Ive tried checking online and I cant see to do it, the VIN on the ECU is "SMTTRE11B8B485933" i think
That's listed as "2011 TIGER 800XC A1", i.e. non-ABS.

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by MegaChops [+]
I've reached out to Team Roberts last Tuesday to get a estimate on a diagnostic via their website but they didnt get back to me. I'll follow up a call in the week, see what they say.

I wish I had the money to do that, I spent 4.5k on this bike last year and its the most I've ever spent on bike in my 15 years of biking. It took me a year and a half to save up for this after my Tiger 955i got stolen prevously

Sorry to hear that , I doubt Team Roberts will be to enthusiastic about the the job unless theyre really quiet , to be fair most franchised dealers will deem your project not worth the hassle. Ive been fortunate over the years buying bikes that theyve never caused too much problems to date  , carbs & points although a pain sometimes have always been cheap to repair. Breaking might be the way to go.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2021, 08:54:48 PM »
I'd be happy to test your ECU and key on my 2012 non-ABS XC.

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2021, 09:42:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
I'd be happy to test your ECU and key on my 2012 non-ABS XC.

That would be brilliant! PM sent

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2021, 10:02:19 PM »
That's listed as "2011 TIGER 800XC A1", i.e. non-ABS.

Balls, thought we might of figured it. Thanks for checking

*Originally Posted by Georgeinabz [+]
Sorry to hear that , I doubt Team Roberts will be to enthusiastic about the the job unless theyre really quiet , to be fair most franchised dealers will deem your project not worth the hassle. Ive been fortunate over the years buying bikes that theyve never caused too much problems to date  , carbs & points although a pain sometimes have always been cheap to repair. Breaking might be the way to go.

Yeah, thats my worry. My 10 year old bike to them would be worth scrap, but to me its the world. Fingers crossed it doesnt get to me breaking

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2021, 05:35:05 PM »
MegaChops: Still looking for other possibilities to explain why your bike won't start and one of them is that the chip in the ignition key has failed. If you've got two keys and neither allows the bike to start then that would probably rule this out.

However, if you have only got one key (or have only tried one key so far) and the chip in it has failed then the immobiliser will not be able to read the code and the bike will not start. I've just simulated this by wrapping foil around the key fob which prevented the bike from starting and, more importantly, it didn't generate a fault code or an illuminated MIL to tell you what the problem was.

Unfortunately, if you do only have a single key then the only way to confirm that it is duff might be to switch to the old ignition set up and to get the ECU paired with it.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2021, 05:58:39 PM »
Using an ELM327 OBD device (such as for TigerTool or Dealertool) it's possible to monitor the CAN bus for the handshake between the ECU and immobiliser that will tell you whether the key was successfully read and the system unlocked.

I can post simple instructions for anyone who might be interested. Almost all you need to know is in the list of commands in the datasheet for the ELM327 chip.

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
MegaChops: Still looking for other possibilities to explain why your bike won't start and one of them is that the chip in the ignition key has failed. If you've got two keys and neither allows the bike to start then that would probably rule this out.

However, if you have only got one key (or have only tried one key so far) and the chip in it has failed then the immobiliser will not be able to read the code and the bike will not start. I've just simulated this by wrapping foil around the key fob which prevented the bike from starting and, more importantly, it didn't generate a fault code or an illuminated MIL to tell you what the problem was.

Unfortunately, if you do only have a single key then the only way to confirm that it is duff might be to switch to the old ignition set up and to get the ECU paired with it.

Using an ELM327 OBD device (such as for TigerTool or Dealertool) it's possible to monitor the CAN bus for the handshake between the ECU and immobiliser that will tell you whether the key was successfully read and the system unlocked.

I can post simple instructions for anyone who might be interested. Almost all you need to know is in the list of commands in the datasheet for the ELM327 chip.

I only have the one key that came with the ECU/Ignition set.

I've taken up D6864's kind offer to test the ECU & Igntion/key on his bike, and I've shipped them this morning on next day delivery. I'm kinda hoping he gets the same symptoms so I know its the ECU or ingition set.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch