Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New ECU Advice  (Read 10484 times)

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger800XC
Re: New ECU Advice
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2021, 02:40:21 PM »
Spoken to Team Roberts and its 40 to code my keys to my bike. I'm really hoping this is the problem. Just need to figure how to get my bike to them.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2021, 03:35:55 PM »
We all crossing our fingers🤞🤞🤞 :123:
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2021, 04:37:20 PM »
In answer to D6864:

My working assumption is that the key code checking is carried out within the ECU but I have found no definitive information to verify this or to verify the alternative of the checking being done in the immobiliser. I would like to believe what my fellow South Brum forum member (Conconut) said but I'm slightly skeptical!

In the case of Test 3, it shouldn't really matter which of the above two alternatives is correct since the test was done with your immobiliser and your ECU. MegaChops key has the wrong code for your bike and so should have resulted in a flashing MIL and DTC being generated. The only reason I can think of to explain why it didn't produce this result is that his ignition set is duff.

As discussed, in order to rule out MegaChops ignition pick-up coil rather than the key being the problem, it would be good to test his fob on another bike in the way suggested; that is, to switch on the ignition with the bike's key fob screened with Al foil and at the same time to bring MegaChops key fob in close contact with bike's key fob. If you get a flashing MIL, MegaChops key is ok otherwise it is not.

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
I've just reviewed all the data and also managed to find more information on how modern immobiliser systems work and basically now more or less agree with D6864's understanding. Essentially, MegaChops problem is almost certainly due to his Immobiliser not being recognised by his new ECU. The Immobiliser does the key code checking and can be programmed to accept the code for whatever keys are to be used. However, since the Immobiliser is not recognised by the new ECU, the latter will not accept its messaging following a successful key code verification and will produce a flashing MIL and P1508 fault code in response, and the bike will not start.

On the basis of this understanding, MegaChops two old keys should be ok to use with his old ignition set - the codes should already be programmed into his Immobiliser. However, my understanding is that the Immobiliser needs to be programmed with the correct code to enable it to be recognised by the ECU. I don't know for certain but I assume this code will be based on the ECU's VIN and can be programmed into the Immobiliser by a Triumph dealer :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
As requested, a few final tests with Tigertool before I send MegaChops' parts back to him:
  • My key wrapped in foil + my ECU = no start, MIL on, DTC L0008 in immobiliser - interesting to see this DTC when the key can't be read at all
  • My key wrapped in foil + my spare key alongside + my ECU = bike starts, MIL off, no DTCs
  • My key wrapped in foil + MegaChops key + my ECU = no start, MIL on, DTC L0008 in immobiliser
  • My key unwrapped + MegaChops key + my ECU = no start, MIL on, DTC L0008 in immobiliser - this suggests MegaChops' key is responding to the immobiliser because it interferes with reading my key
  • My key unwrapped + MegaChops' ECU = no start, flashing MIL, DTC P1508 in ECU
  • My key wrapped in foil + MegaChops' key + MegaChops' ECU = no start, MIL on, DTC P1508 in ECU, DTC L0008 in immobiliser - the P1508 was a surprise because the MIL wasn't flashing

I also cleared the residual P0335 and P1632 DTCs that MegaChops found during his testing, hopefully this means that his ECU will work once paired with his immobiliser.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:23:27 PM by D6864 »

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »
Great work team! It's way beyond me, but I am heartened to see so much input trying to get this sorted.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2021, 03:37:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
As requested, a few final tests with Tigertool before I send MegaChops' parts back to him:...

Good work. When are you planning to post it back?

I'm finally at my desk and writing the notes on how to read the ECU / immobiliser comms from the CAN-Bus. I'll get that posted this evening in the 'How To' section to save cluttering this thread.

You could use the ELM327 interface you use for TigerTool to run the tests, if you have the time.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger800XC
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
As requested, a few final tests with Tigertool before I send MegaChops' parts back to him:

Thanks very much for this!  :046: Your tests (if im reading them correctly) show my key is working, but there is an immboliser issue (DTC L0008) . Fingers crossed, the dealer pairing will fix it

I never seen the DTC L0008 before in TuneECU, I'm guessing this only shows in TigerTool?

Thanks again

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2021, 06:07:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by MegaChops [+]
I never seen the DTC L0008 before in TuneECU, I'm guessing this only shows in TigerTool?
Correct. As far as I know, neither TuneECU nor Dealertool offer the option to read immobiliser DTCs, but since I added TPMS programming to TigerTool you can read them with it.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2021, 06:46:04 PM »
I've posted instructions in the 'How To' section for reading the CAN-Bus data related to the ECU / immobiliser startup handshake when reading the ignition key ID.

You can read it here...

Monitor ECU / Immobiliser Handshake CAN-Bus Data

Recent Topics