Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New ECU Advice  (Read 1595 times)

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
Re: New ECU Advice
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 07:11:19 AM »
Glad to see you joined our great forum, I think I advised you to join, when you posted on Facebook. due to the great wealth of knowledge.
And The Guvnor posts have serviced again. Could be another interesting thread.
Hope the team sort it for you
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 07:43:50 AM »
My 2017 XCA has only one fuse box but I was aware yours had what Haynes referred to as the 'front' and 'rear' fuses boxes. It looks as though the 'rear' Fuse 3 is blowing which Haynes associates with the fuel pump relay, immobiliser, instrument cluster and kill switch which is consistent with the wiring diagram. What was slightly confusing to me in terms of the 'key' symbol was that the 'front' Fuse 3 also goes to the ignition switch!

At the moment, I don't think it is not clear what is blowing 'rear' Fuse 3 given that it is providing power to the instrument cluster and immobiliser among other things. If the fuse blew with the instrument cluster disconnected then this provides a bit of evidence that this is not the cause of the problem.

It would definitely be useful to know which ECM wire is getting hot so that we can work out what it is connected to. It would also be useful to know exactly what happens when the ignition is turned on and what operates before the fuse blows, if anything. I'm thinking in terms of instrument cluster functions and display and things like the fuel pump starting up?

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger800XC
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
Glad to see you joined our great forum, I think I advised you to join, when you posted on Facebook. due to the great wealth of knowledge.
And The Guvnor posts have serviced again. Could be another interesting thread.
Hope the team sort it for you

Thanks man, definatly a good shout! I'm getting much more consistant advice on here :)

*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
It would definitely be useful to know which ECM wire is getting hot so that we can work out what it is connected to. It would also be useful to know exactly what happens when the ignition is turned on and what operates before the fuse blows, if anything. I'm thinking in terms of instrument cluster functions and display and things like the fuel pump starting up?

I'll check which wire is getting hot when I get the bike back on Saturday. In regards to what happens when I turn it on, the fuse just pops, nothing comes on the dash at all and the fuel pump doesnt make any noises or anything. The back red light on the bike does light up and the indicators do stll work but thats it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:57:52 AM by MegaChops »

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Ok - will be interesting to hear what you find  on Saturday.

Given that the immediate problem is Fuse 3 blowing, it will probably be a case of disconnecting electrical components in turn until you establish which one appears to be causing this particular problem. Might be a good idea to buy a big pack of 10A mini blade fuses!

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 09:30:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
Might be a good idea to buy a big pack of 10A mini blade fuses!

Already done  :152:

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by MegaChops [+]
They have said I need a new speedo as the RPM meter is stuck on 6k so they think it has had some "electrical trauma".
This could be explained by the fuse blowing while the instruments were doing their startup self check. The RPM needle is controlled by a stepper motor so it could have stopped at any position.

You'll know more once you try the ignition with the instruments unplugged.

If it does turn out to be a blown power zener diode on the instruments PCB, I might still have a spare new one from the last repair I did.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
As said, disconnecting the instrument cluster should be the first step. Hopefully, the problem will be something as simple as a blown Zener diode which do have a habit of failing short circuited. If that proves to be the case, it is highly unlikely that any damage would have been caused to any other components (apart from Fuse 3) and the hot wire going to the ECM might prove to be a bit of a red herring!

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 06:37:26 PM »
So i got my bike back today, it came back with different symptoms. After recharging the battery, the fuses are now not blowing but the electrics still arent coming on, i hear a slight fizzing sound from the ECU and can small a burned circuit smell. I'm not sure where to go from here but it does sound like a naffed ECU

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 07:29:40 PM »
I think T800Xc is the man to sort problem out 👍
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
What did the garage do that changed the symptoms? When you say the electrics aren't coming on, exactly what happens when you switch on the ignition and what works; for example, do the indicators work? Presumably you've checked all the fuses are ok? People have previously reported a fizzing sound which turned out to be the main fuse so, if no electrics are coming on, it might be worth checking the main fuse.

Recent Topics