Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sparkplugs, Airfilter and suspicious oil in airfilter box  (Read 258 times)

Offline csaba.kovacs

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2011
Sparkplugs, Airfilter and suspicious oil in airfilter box
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »
Hello good folks!

Im gonna keep it short with pictures, im no mechanic so I would like to ask for some of your expertise please, before i spend money on something that could've waited.

Airfilter - change it or not? does it still have life in it?
literally first time im changeing an airfilter, no idea if this is cleanable or not.
(i have this bike for two years now(first year was sitting), and put a pathetic ~5000km into it since) the bike is now in: ~ 49.000 km

dirty

after a simple dry brush off

Airbox
is this rust colored liquid/oil thing is of concern?

my biggest and most worried problem, even i know here shouldnt be oil like residue? how deep im in trouble?

pictures of the intakes:

cant see much here of the valves, which i was trying to capture
but i was clearly seeing darkbrown wet like residue on top of the valves.

Sparkplugs - change it or keep it?
I would also like to ask for assistance, in this matter, i know the tips of the plugs should have a brick or greyish colour, not sure the pictures capture the actual color, my best guess seemd like the mid one had a bit of blackness to it, not sure. i also measured the resistances of the coils and plugs, the numbers seems fineish, the primary is a bit off.

Left plug - 3.95 k-ohms, coil, primary(0.8-1.2): 1.3 ohms  secondary(11.5-12.0): 11.71 k-ohms

Mid plug - 3.85 coil, primary(0.8-1.2): 1.3 -secondary(11.5-12.0): 11.67

i gave a bit of cleaning with wirebrush

Right plug 3.83 coil, primary(0.8-1.2): 1.3 - secondary(11.5-12.0): 11.56

thankyou!
any feedback is much appreciated, the bike is still not put togheter so if anyone can suggest something i could do, something i havent thought of checking please!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Sparkplugs, Airfilter and suspicious oil in airfilter box
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
All looks normal. Plugs are not too bad, you can clean with throttle body cleaner solvent and a wire brush. Then you can also use the spray to clean the butterfly valves. But, the Air Filter should be replaced.
Consider getting a K&N re-usable filter to save $ in the future, or a 'Uni-filter' pre-filter that you put on at the the air intake.
(not a product endorsement, just a suggestion).
The oil you see is just the re-circulated oil vapour from the 'PAIR' valve. It's a method used to prevent hydro-carbons from the engine oil going directly into the atmosphere. Just clean out the airbox and small mesh filter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:29:25 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:29:04 PM »
The air filter element was due for replacement a long time ago.
I'll disagree with Chuck to some degree. I would replace the OEM filter with an OEM filter and then install the Uni Filter pre filter. The pre filter is very easy to clean and maintain and unless you ride in really bad conditions makes it unnecessary to change the OEM filter very often. The OEM filter is a better filter than a K&N.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 01:23:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The air filter element was due for replacement a long time ago.
I'll disagree with Chuck to some degree. I would replace the OEM filter with an OEM filter and then install the Uni Filter pre filter. The pre filter is very easy to clean and maintain and unless you ride in really bad conditions makes it unnecessary to change the OEM filter very often. The OEM filter is a better filter than a K&N.
And K1W1, which of the two letters in my word 'or' did you disagree with? 😉
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics

winded-staunch