Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front mudguard riser for Tiger 900 Rally Pro  (Read 402 times)

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
Front mudguard riser for Tiger 900 Rally Pro
« on: September 15, 2021, 04:07:21 PM »
I ran into some sticky mud on the weekend with my Tiger 800 that clumped up enough to snap the front mudguard off the bike.  I ended up zip tying the break line to the radiator guard (the Touratech radiator guard has fins that are easy to zip tie to) so I could make it through that section of the road.  Those zip ties did the trick for the next few days until I got home.

Out of 5 bikes with low front mudguards on this trip, only 1 came out with their mudguard intact so this isn't strictly a Tiger problem, it's just a low mudguard problem.

I've got a deposit on a new 900 Rally Pro and I'm now doing a little research to find ways to raise the front mud guard.  I know I'll need to get a longer brake line but I'd ideally like to have a couple inches of clearance between the mudguard and tire.  The tire I ride on is the Motoz Tractionator Adventure.  Does anyone here know about any kits available to do this?  I don't have the 900 yet so I can't really look at it to see how the mudguard is attached.

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
Re: Front mudguard riser for Tiger 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
Something like this kit for the Africa Twin would be ideal.  https://camel-adv.com/products/africa-twin-high-fender-kit

I've reached out to Camel ADV to see if they have any interest in making a high fender kit for the Tiger 900.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
Over the years there have been numerous people and companies promoting front mudguard risers for Tigers ranging from alloy brackets to 3D printed products. I dont believe that any have been particularly successful long term from what I have seen.
If you ride in these conditions regularly maybe consider a different approach. Use stand alone lower fork guards like a MX bike has with a dedicated high front guard to replace the beak. There are several Tigers with this option around on ADVRider.

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 10:56:44 PM »
I agree, that's a better solution and is similar to the Africa Twin solutions from Camel ADV.  I'll search on ADV Rider.

Online Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 02:04:14 AM »
I have a different strategy at the moment but been unable to explore it due to Covid Lockdown.

I believe the earlier model 1090 Kato has the same WP forks as the XcX but the gap seems slightly higher and the guard is a constant plane rather than stepped.

So working on the mount screws at the bottom of the forks being in the same place, the width maybe around the same ??? but have not been able to get to a bike shop or wreckers or anywhere to do some measurements.

Just a theory but looking to solve the same problem and when we get let out I am off to buy a Tractionator as well.

In Oz, the conditions you were in can happen anytime, all it needs is a bit of rain on your adventure route, particularly if you are riding through Pine Forrests, they can simulate similar to making clay bricks.

If you find something on Adventure Rider we would all appreciate you posting a link.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 12:30:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
If you find something on Adventure Rider we would all appreciate you posting a link.

Check out "Night Falcon" he is in NZ and has a white XC with a high mount front guard

The link below is a picture if it works

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adv-photo-association-game.909364/page-937#post-42576317

Edit: It did not work but got you to the right page. Scroll down a little.

Online Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 02:05:33 AM »
OMG great find K1W1.

How did you find that on page 937.... do you need to get a life ? haha.

So sent him a message and lets see where that goes. Looks like a factory set up eh.

I am sure there will be a few issues but hey, he has done it so +1 to him.

Some day I will be able to ride your way and buy you a coffee.

Cheers.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
OMG great find K1W1.

How did you find that on page 937.... do you need to get a life ? haha.

So sent him a message and lets see where that goes. Looks like a factory set up eh.

I am sure there will be a few issues but hey, he has done it so +1 to him.

Some day I will be able to ride your way and buy you a coffee.

Cheers.

It seems like I have a picture on almost every page in that thread and he posts pictures that include his bike regularly as well. That just happened to be the first one of his photos I found.
Long black thanks.  :001:

Online Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »
Thanks again K1W1.

Lots of stuff there and Marty is a real ideas man.

So will have a look at Polisport for guards and fenders and the rest is about mounting brackets and running a new brake line.

I was about to buy a small LED lighting strip for under the beak and voila Marty has already done it, plus a momentary switch for the ABS..... love watching guys like that

Recent Topics

winded-staunch