Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alloy sidestand leg  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Hez

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 X
Alloy sidestand leg
« on: September 15, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »
I have had my alloy sidestand leg snap on the second day of owning my 2019 Tiger XTr. Does anyone have an idea for a more robust leg than the standard alloy one?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Alloy sidestand leg
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
 : :005: yikes, how did that happen?
 Those stands are tough.
I would think that would be a warranty call if within 2 yrs

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:41:32 PM »
Unlikely you will get any replacement suggestions as the side stands don't really give any problems so no call for alternative made replacements. There was a member at the beginning of the year concerned about the angle of lean of his bike on the side stand and it did turn out to be a bent side stand bracket, not the actual side stand leg. He renewed the bracket and it sorted the issue.

With the Tiger being a fairly tall bike it is quite common for lots of us, many 100kg+, to actually constantly stand on the left hand footpeg to get on and off the bike while it is on the side stand and even this extra loading hasn't resulted in reports of snapped side stands.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Hez

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
Stood on side peg, luckily getting off and it went at the pin..didn't drop her but knees a bit bruised supporting her

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:27:58 AM »
That's very rare. Could you have fractured it earlier and then it finally gave way when you dismounted? Certainly shouldn't have happened with normal use.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 06:55:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hez [+]
Stood on side peg, luckily getting off and it went at the pin..didn't drop her but knees a bit bruised supporting her
That's quite worrying as I normally have to stand on the LH footpeg to get on to my tall XCA. I may use the centre stand in future :084:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
Loads of us do it and most on bikes far older than 2019 and in 6yrs+ on this forum this is the 1st incident of this that I can recall. I even do it, as last Megameet weekend, when fully loaded with top box and panniers. I suspect there are a few others out there somewhere who have had the same failure but clearly not enough for it to have filtered down to the likes of this forum as a potential design or manufacturing issue, which if an issue I'm sure it would have. :027:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Hez

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
I'm reassured by the statements. Probably a single incident. I was concerned with it being alloy it might be a weak point but if people are climbing on using the peg regularly I'll get an OH replacement and not worry. The thing I had noticed Triumph charge 68 genuine part. Used - the likes of e-bay. 78. One to watch out for.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
Considering the stress that must have been put on the stand to fracture it, for peace of mind, you might (though more expense), besides new stand and pivot bolt, want to consider renewing the side stand bracket bolted to the frame. :027:

Offline Hez

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
I think it must have been a casting fault it appears to have snapped along a fracture line below the bolt. And to be honest I average 12 1/2 to 13 stone so presume not that much pressure. No other load on her, didn't even have the panniers on.

Recent Topics