Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
How durable is the switch for the side stand ?
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:37:40 AM »
Currently re routing wiring, securing looms from vibration and trying to water proof to the height of the swing arm.

So looking for feedback on the side stand micro switch, see below *

So just about to route the O2 meter loom above the LH casing (side of motor) and into the loom under the Airbox... rather than via underneath near the frame and into a joiner up next to the rear shock. What a dodgy place to have wiring and connectors. However mine might be different due to changes the loom for the Commander (CV) system ???

Have other wiring plug down in that area near the breathers that I will unwind that out of the loom also and get out of that area. (another CV plug)

*But looking at the side stand switch and its plug. Its also in a pretty dodgy area so just wondering how robust this switch is and if it plays up.... ever ... hello to the Tiger community.
Is it a just a matter of creating that circuit by joining the 2 wires ??? If so will have emergency bits in my spares kit.

Fwiw, I had a problem with the micro switch on the clutch perch!!
Pulled it apart and noticed that the housing was flexing and not open/shut properly. The result of that was that it would not start in gear and it can effect other function. So put some very small cable ties around the casing to stop flex and then put some silicon into its mount area so that it was secure. PITA if it accidentally stalls in traffic ...

So at the end of the day there is so much wiring running around in there there any small connection problems would be days pulling things down and going through the basics. So fingers crossed all that all my anal wiring work pays off haha.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
Side stand lockout switches have a history of being problematic on many makes and models of bikes since the 1970s when they first started being fitted curiosity I believe of the US DoT.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
*But looking at the side stand switch
Is it a just a matter of creating that circuit by joining the 2 wires?
Yes
The side-stand switch is a simple, normally closed, switch that is opened when the stand is down and the switch plunger is pushed 'in'.
When the stand is 'up', and the switch plunger (rod) is 'out', the switch is in its normal 'run' orientation - closed internally.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:44:36 AM »
Thanks guys.
I thought it would be but while I am still working on wiring and don't have a battery fitted or able to Test it.
Was hoping that it only just created 'a circuit' rather than affecting other functions like the clutch micro.
So will just nip and twist the wires if it ever comes to that.   :028:

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 02:06:08 AM »
Rode 70K klms RTW over a period of years, bike constantly covered with mud and crap and never washed. Never had a problem with the stand switch.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:22:06 AM »
Hi dragon, I am planning a trip to the Top of Aust mid next year and need to try and waterproof as much as I can up to say ...casing levels. That switch is very low and not protected by the lower crash plate.
So if during a creek crossing or culvert / flood area I just want a strategy if that switch fails.

In all other situations it should not be a problem as you suggested.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 06:07:06 AM »
is it possible to bridge it if you are stuck on the road?
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:18 AM »
I always give these switches a good coating of ACF50 after most washes just to keep it protected...

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
Never had a problem in 50000 miles riding 2 tiger 800's
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Hi dragon, I am planning a trip to the Top of Aust mid next year and need to try and waterproof as much as I can up to say ...casing levels. That switch is very low and not protected by the lower crash plate.
So if during a creek crossing or culvert / flood area I just want a strategy if that switch fails.

In all other situations it should not be a problem as you suggested.

I hear you mate. I can only say I have done a metric sh*t ton of water crossings and never had an issue. Any improvement though would be prudent.

Recent Topics