Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Re: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
The general consensus seems its likely never going to be a problem. So its standard wiring.
I agree with the safety aspect.

The one problem I did have early in the year was the micro switch in the clutch seemed to get dislodged in its housing.
Pulled it apart, realigned the micro, put in some silicon and applied a small cable tie to hold the outer casing rigid.

Only ever want to stall that once in the Traffic..... then have to find neutral to actually start it again.

Re the kick stand circuit, I have marked the wiring under the seat near the battery and used a small electrical end connection with the little screw to join the circuit wires. So if it ever faults after going swimming then I can break the circuit with a bit of fiddling.

Most likely over thinking this.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 11:52:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Re the kick stand circuit, I have marked the wiring under the seat near the battery and used a small electrical end connection with the little screw to join the circuit wires. So if it ever faults after going swimming then I can break the circuit with a bit of fiddling.

That is a good idea. We all know that once you do something like that you will never have to look at it again it will be bullet proof.  :001:

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]

:493:
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 04:38:32 AM »
Haha. K1W1. That should be one of the Commandments of home mechanics. Like your thinking. lets call it the "The K1W1" theory.

Just like if you don't put your wets on, and think you can dodge that big black cloud - its gunna rain for sure.

But if you pull over, put all the gear on, get over your boots, finally get the zips done up and find that tear you didn't know you had or forgot about .... but then the sun will come out, as will the humidity and you are going to get wet from the inside.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »
I don't think it's been mentioned yet? -- but, one of the key reasons for side-stand switches is to keep from riding away with the stand down.
Before them it would be possible to do so and, given the forward angle of the deployed stand, it could hit the pavement/ground with enough force to attempt to lever the rear tire up when leaning left.
The stand would then usually retract -- but, still a somewhat dangerous situation.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Online freeware

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
My switch is playing up by not killing the engine when in gear with the sidestand down. Gave it a clean and helped for a few months but now doesn't work again.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch