Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?  (Read 879 times)

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
Re: How durable is the switch for the side stand ?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 03:51:55 AM »
I've broken the peg off the sidestand bracket that the spring connects to a couple of times now but have yet to have any problems with the switch.  Water doesn't seem to affect the switch.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 04:22:03 AM »
Thanks guys, that sounds good.

I have replaced the wiring from that switch and cut out the plug .. which I couldn't undo anyway. Soldered in a new section and routed that well protected wire up near the battery and joined it to the main loom with a few crimp connectors. Put a piece of yellow tape around that spot so if I ever have a problem its only a matter of cutting the wires near the crimp and twisting the loom wires together.
Also moved the brake light wiring which ran through that area, which now runs in front of the battery down the frame onto the brake switch.
I had O2 Wideband meter wiring down there as well, so stripped that out and re taped and now safely up near the Battery. I have a Commander V part in the end of the standard loom end it was not in a good place so it is safely tucked away.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 04:46:46 AM »
Hey Dragon, anything that you have changed or modified for the conditions that you ride in .... given you have so many wet experiences.

The one trick I did last night was drilling a small hole in the bottom of the air box, drilled & taped a 1/4 inch thread. Then drilled through the top to bottom of a short 1/4 bolt (now hollow inside) , cut the head of , and threaded that threaded section into the hole.

Then fitted a piece of clear hose onto the thread sitting below the air box. This hose sits out maybe 12 cm just above the gear change arm which is a clear area up to the air box. You can touch it with your fingers.

Because its in the LH front corner of the lower section of the box, (below the filter) when on the side stand that will be the drain point so when I walk up to the bike after any water crossings I will be able to check that hose.

Screwed a smaller bolt into the end of the tube to make it air tight. So I can look at that short section of clear hose now - if there is any water in the base of the air filter box I can see it visually in the tube. Then remove the small bolt and drain it.

Because pulling the Tank and removing the top of the Airbox etc is just way toooo complex. That area down in the air box there would probably hold a litre or more of water and ... then if the Oiled K&N Filter (versus the paper element) may hopefully restrict water ingestion ? I can minimise awkward outcomes.

Hope never to test it to that level but that's often more luck than good management.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 04:49:33 AM »
Damn, that's my blood on the frame, sorry. Unpicking the main loom and slipped with the blade.
Didnt realise I created a crime scene.

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 03:05:22 AM »
Definitely a pre filter, a chain oiler (Cobbra) and while I dont like huggers of any kind I fabbed up a protector for the rear shock to keep the crap off it.

*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Hey Dragon, anything that you have changed or modified for the conditions that you ride in .... given you have so many wet experiences.

The one trick I did last night was drilling a small hole in the bottom of the air box, drilled & taped a 1/4 inch thread. Then drilled through the top to bottom of a short 1/4 bolt (now hollow inside) , cut the head of , and threaded that threaded section into the hole.

Then fitted a piece of clear hose onto the thread sitting below the air box. This hose sits out maybe 12 cm just above the gear change arm which is a clear area up to the air box. You can touch it with your fingers.

Because its in the LH front corner of the lower section of the box, (below the filter) when on the side stand that will be the drain point so when I walk up to the bike after any water crossings I will be able to check that hose.

Screwed a smaller bolt into the end of the tube to make it air tight. So I can look at that short section of clear hose now - if there is any water in the base of the air filter box I can see it visually in the tube. Then remove the small bolt and drain it.

Because pulling the Tank and removing the top of the Airbox etc is just way toooo complex. That area down in the air box there would probably hold a litre or more of water and ... then if the Oiled K&N Filter (versus the paper element) may hopefully restrict water ingestion ? I can minimise awkward outcomes.

Hope never to test it to that level but that's often more luck than good management.

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 08:00:09 PM »
My bike has 80,000 miles and I've had no issues with the sidestand switch. Most of those miles have been two-up riding from Alaska to Ushuaia with LOTS of dirt roads thrown in for good measure.
Orange 800xc ABS travelling around the world. Currently in Argentina. www.tiger800rtw.com or https://www.facebook.com/Tiger800RTW/

Recent Topics