Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Electrical, Lighting, and Wiring

Strange whirring sound and headlights dimming.

(1/1)

Hollanddd:
Hello,

To cut a long story short, I had my fan replaced by Laguna Triumph in Ashford last week as it went whilst visiting family and the bike was fine the entire way back to Cornwall, however when I rode to work yesterday and today Iíve noticed a sort of whirring sound (sort of reminds of the noise old computer hard drives used to make) and the lights are dimmer.

This seems to go on and off every few seconds and when the whirring sound stops, the headlights go back to being brighter. It also seems to stop when I pull the clutch in.

Does anyone have any idea where to even start with this or should I take it straight into Triumph Plymouth?

Thanks for any advice!

awjdthumper:
It's probably best to take it to a Triumph dealer if the source of the problem cannot be easily determined.

The first thing to look at is probably the new fan. Does the noise appear when the bike is warming up and does the fan stay off during this time. If the noise is associated with the fan, it's possible the blades are catching on something.

If its not the fan making the noise then it could be a number of things giving the problem. Presumably the dimmer headlights are occurring at lower revs which might simply be a bigger current draw somewhere (the new fan?) causing them to dim. I assume they are not getting brighter because the revs rise when you pull the clutch in?

As said, if you can't isolate where the sound is actually coming from and the new fan appears to working ok then a trip to a Triumph dealer might be best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version