Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart  (Read 1794 times)

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart
« on: October 05, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
So today for the second time in a month my bike died while riding and wouldn't restart.  Just cranks and cranks.  Both times I took the battery home and put it on the charger as I flattened it trying to get it to go (both times before going on it was still at 12.53ish volts so not all that flat but it wouldn't turn the starter when I left.  Battery tested at 383cca for a rated 220 today.  Bought a new battery there as it is 3.5 years old but I really don't think the battery is the issue.  It simply dies, no rough running etc.  Starter was rebuilt years ago with new brushes, no codes in the system and it doesn't seem to be the stepper crap as when ever mine acted up in the past starting with full throttle would work.

Anybody experience anything like this.  Has nearly 60k on the odo but fairly well maintained over the years.  Hasn't seen a ton of use this summer though and she does spend the summer outside.

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
Re: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »
Main fuse under the battery, or something in the lockout  safety circuit for sidestand and clutch? Problem with rollover sensor under seat?

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
I would try to determine whether its electrical or on the fuel side. Problem is that it's not easy on this bike to pull out a plug lead and coil and connect up to another plug to see whether you are getting a spark. If it does appear to be giving a spark then the problem could be on the fuel side.

I recently had problem with another bike that suddenly did something similar and it turned out to be the fuel pump failing. However, if you can hear the pump working then it is unlikely to be exactly the same problem although it could be the associated filter which on my other bike was pretty clogged up and needed cleaning.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 08:00:30 PM »
Engine cranks so that takes the main fuse, sidestand roll over and all that stuff out doesn't it.  Not that I think roll over actually works as it has never shut my bike off.  :) 

Fuel pump primes each time you turn the key so I know it is at least getting power but of course a fuel pump failure leads to a slow stall not an immediate.    About a year ago I cleaned the "filter out good when I replaced the failing fuel level sender.

Would be so nice if it didn't fix itself and run later or actually threw a code which of course you should be getting from any sensors etc right?  Even my Himalayan tells me if something isn't getting power.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
It's a pain but you probably need to check whether you are getting a spark or not when you turn over the engine. That check will narrow down the list of possible causes.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:46:36 PM »
Well since both times it started just fine once I went back a couple hours later and it takes a couple hours to get the tank and plastics off to get to the spark plugs I don't see that being doable at all esp. on the side of the road.  :)  Again, a no spark should throw a code though correct plus the only way that the ecu wouldn't send spark right is that the crank sensor isn't working at the time which again should throw a code right?

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »
have you checked the interlock circuit, including the side-stand switch  and rt hand kill switch?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 09:57:53 PM »
It cranked both times it did it so that takes the kill switch, clutch and sidestand out as it won't crank if those aren't in the right position.  Also it is reading fuel as well (I found out that it doesn't run if it doesn't read a fuel level when my fuel sensor finally went after weeks of intermittent random readings.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »
Yes, but those switches might be intermittent, especially the side stand.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »
I get that but if it cranked when I pushed it to the side but didn't start that means it isn't the issue correct?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch