Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart  (Read 1859 times)

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Strange oddity. Bike stalls when riding and won't restart
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 11:03:07 PM »
Not necessarily if the switch is electrically intermittent internally. That switch disables the ignition, like when you put the sidestand down while in gear and the engine running.
 Or the connector(s) are intermittent
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:05:18 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
If that were the case it would have cranked and started though it didn't.  It only cranked.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:45 AM »
Sounds like a fuel problem to me. :112:

Chico

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:54:46 AM »
Wouldn't there be fault codes if it were a fueling problem  and wouldn't it run lean a few revolutions?  It cuts out like you hit the kill switch.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 06:33:31 AM »
The list of possible fault codes for the fuel system is limited to throttle position sensor problems and fuel pump relay problems and probably of no help in this case.

Unfortunately, these modern bikes are very complicated and sorting out intermittent problems is extremely difficult since it could be due to one of many possible causes including faulty sensors or faulty switches or connections. You stand a better chance of diagnosing the cause of the problem if you can get it to show itself when you are in a position to carry out basic testing such as for the presence of a spark and for the presence of fuel pressure.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline chuckxc

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by benebob [+]
If that were the case it would have cranked and started though it didn't.  It only cranked.
No. If the side stand switch is faulty, the engine won't get any ignition.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
No. If the side stand switch is faulty, the engine won't get any ignition.

Please explain further.  My understanding is that if the engine cranks then the side stand switch, neutral switch and clutch switch are working as if any of those are in the wrong position or not working you won't get any cranking when you push start.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 01:50:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
The list of possible fault codes for the fuel system is limited to throttle position sensor problems and fuel pump relay problems and probably of no help in this case.

Unfortunately, these modern bikes are very complicated and sorting out intermittent problems is extremely difficult since it could be due to one of many possible causes including faulty sensors or faulty switches or connections. You stand a better chance of diagnosing the cause of the problem if you can get it to show itself when you are in a position to carry out basic testing such as for the presence of a spark and for the presence of fuel pressure.

Really?  What is the point of having a computer then if it doesn't find such issues.  As for fuel pressure wouldn't it have fuel pressure if it primes or is the Triumph system too dumb to measure pressure at all, just turn the pump on for x seconds and assume it is primed?  Even my Himalayan has faults for fuel pressure and faulty fuel pump circuit.  Of course I've also never heard of a fuel pump failing where it works one day and not the other either unless the bearings are gone which I would think you would hear.

Would love  for it to rear its head but of course 2x over a month means I won't ride the thing as it isn't reliable.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 02:52:20 PM »
Check the crankshaft position sensor, these tend to fail when hot then recover after cooling down.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
Check the crankshaft position sensor, these tend to fail when hot then recover after cooling down.

Know any way to check it for intermittent rather than throwing a new part at it?  Wouldnt it send a code if it was bad or would it just stop reading where to fire?

Recent Topics